Devil in the box!

tman

Super Moderator
Like I don't have enough chaos in my life and then I had to go and do this to myself. Thanks to Mike I now have negative room in my fish tanks if there is such a thing. This guy got a tank all to himself for now. A+ again Mike.

Score!!

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

Glad he made the trip just fine! That was a big/heavy box I had to carry this morning lol.

Glad the Goonch found a great home! We need more pictures!

tman

Super Moderator
He is just came out of the bag pics. He cruised under my driftwood after as I stuck a powerhead underneath. I think I will have to buy some more vortech's for this dude. I tried to stick feed him a smelt and gave up after a couple minutes. When I went into another room and came back the smelt was gonzo.

I have owned some cool predators but this one may be the best so far!!

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

Throw in some massivore! He will gladly eat those!

If I were you take out the driftwood and keep the tank bare that way he doesn't hide. He is very active when it comes time to feeding! He moves around a lot more than what people say. When he is hungry, he will "beg" for food. You will see what I'm talking about soon enough!

skynoch

I wish my tanks weren't full or I would have had to get one. That and the potential size scared me away lol. Nice pickup Trev.

tman

Super Moderator
Throw in some massivore! He will gladly eat those!

If I were you take out the driftwood and keep the tank bare that way he doesn't hide. He is very active when it comes time to feeding! He moves around a lot more than what people say. When he is hungry, he will "beg" for food. You will see what I'm talking about soon enough!
I just moved the driftwood away from the current so he hangs out by the current. Just pounds the massivore and is very quick. Not sure if all goonch are like this one but very active at feeding time and still can't get over how cool he looks. This catfish is more active then my last tigrinus.

I wish my tanks weren't full or I would have had to get one. That and the potential size scared me away lol. Nice pickup Trev.
Very cool fish but I am not sure if I should chance putting tankmates with him. Maybe I should sell some more rays so he can have a big tank with my big black arowanas and remaining pbass.I am sure the growth will be slow now but only time will tell.

exoticaquaria

Btw the other goonch is in a tank with an asian arowana, indo datnoids, gar and some other larger fish. Let me see if I can find some time to head over and take some pics! If you do comm your goonch, be sure to proceed with caution as this one tried to mess with the big indos in the tank. Its only been a few days but I hope the peace can be maintained!

tman

Super Moderator
Just 2 weeks shy of 4 months since I got this fish and he has grown another 3" and is 24" long now not including the tail streamers.

exoticaquaria

Just 2 weeks shy of 4 months since I got this fish and he has grown another 3" and is 24" long now not including the tail streamers.

Very nice! I am glad he is doing great! A local importer imported some goonch cats. Babies around 5-6 inches and I was told they all died. Larger ones are lot hardier. Good to see him in good hands! Must be super fun to feed!

tman

Super Moderator
Very nice! I am glad he is doing great! A local importer imported some goonch cats. Babies around 5-6 inches and I was told they all died. Larger ones are lot hardier. Good to see him in good hands! Must be super fun to feed!

Thanks, He is doing good and is active at night just wished he was active during the day:(. I just moved him to another tank and he didn't even skip a beat and was eating that night. Definitely a strong hardy fish!!

exoticaquaria

Thanks, He is doing good and is active at night just wished he was active during the day:(. I just moved him to another tank and he didn't even skip a beat and was eating that night. Definitely a strong hardy fish!!

Strong is definitely the exact word that I'd describe these xxl goonch catfish. They are difficult to net as well. They make themselves some what "stuck" to the bottom lol. Amazing power.