Distochodus Sexfaciatus

GRANDDRAGON

Hi anyone keep any Distochodus Sexfaciatus with there Aros??? I am keeping one right now with my RTG and in the beggining there were some fights but the RTG is still the ruler of my tank. Here is a picture of my Majestic Shelter.Enjoy:D

distocodusLAB2.jpg

Yuppa

Super Moderator
wow its georgous!

i have kept *many* , with 0% success..

Ive raised a number from 2" -> 1 foot, they always died.

I bought a 7yr old 2' one from a respected lfs (traded flowerhorn fry for it actually)
it was doing fine for a number of months, but I had a heat wave and lost him when tank temp went too high.

I got another one years later, around 16" ... it was extremely aggressive and i was forced to remove it from the tank.. I sold it to another aro owner, who unfortunately lost him shortly after the move :(

all in all I've raised about a dozen of these fish, and I'm done.

my conclusion, they need impeccable water quality and are very sensitive to any sudden change.

frozen-fire

they're nice to look at, but when i watch them at the lfs, they chase each other around endlessly...makes me uneasy.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
In the past Yuppa and I (and a few others) imported a few distos as part of a rehobothaquatics order. They can be had for a very reasonable price ($10-20) as small juveniles.

I know of a couple people with them in the Vancouver area. I'll see if I can't get them to post about their distos too...

Dragonguy

I would not keep this that fish with aros. They will take your aros fins, scale or barbels. I used to have this guy with my black aro it nip the barbels. My black aro's barbel never grow back.

GRANDDRAGON

i always wanted to try putting them in my tank

You should, the only things I could say are they are dominant fish and will grow very big so have the space for them. Also if you will be keeping with an aro make sure the Aro is in the tank before him, and make sure that your aro is also bigger than him so that he can defend himself if he decides to try and assume control over the tank.

The only thing i was afraid of is that they may be eye biters

These are not the eye bitters the Lussoso ones are the Eye bitters. These could take off some scales though.

GRANDDRAGON

I would not keep this that fish with aros. They will take your aros fins, scale or barbels. I used to have this guy with my black aro it nip the barbels. My black aro's barbel never grow back.

I sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with these fish but maybe your black aro was very small. I have had him take scales off my tinfoil barbs and parrot fish but not my RTG, if anyone takes scales between the Sexfaciatous and the RTG, it would be the RTG Scalling all the other fish including the Sexfaciatous.

Dragonguy

I sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with these fish but maybe your black aro was very small. I have had him take scales off my tinfoil barbs and parrot fish but not my RTG, if anyone takes scales between the Sexfaciatous and the RTG, it would be the RTG Scalling all the other fish including the Sexfaciatous.

My black aro was actually 14" and the D. Sexfaciatus was only 8".

arapaimag

I think that the key to success of having them n the same tank is the size of the tank. The distochodus swim in the lower areas of the tank so if your tank is 3 feet or deeper you will not have a problem. Somebody mentioned a 24" disto and that must have been a lusoso because they are very mean compared to other ditos I keep. I have 2 sexfaciatatus in my 15k(6 feet deep) with a few other disto species and have no problem with them and the dozen or more aros. The distos are both 13" and 16" and more than 10 years old. Of course their colour has faded.

I have a disto (24" grey not sure of species) in my 52k but because that tank is 9 feet deep he never comes in contact with the 2 aros.