Filter Media - Best Prices in Canada

jason2028

Thought i'd post this to get a list together of where to buy professional filter media like what is used in the sump systems of Arofinatic's.

Pls list name of store or distributor's website and/ or phone contact:

1. Bacteria house.

2. Ceramic Rings.

3. Japanese Mat or Jap Mat.

4. Filter Floss
(don't have pics of what this one looks like but want it as well......lol).

I live in Markham ontario and would love to purchase all the following brand new or used so pls point me in the right direction. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE : )

Marowana420

last week i went to a koi-pond store at markham rd and major mac. they have used momotaro BH for sale. (but it is very dark) and they have mats too.

chen88

Super Moderator
last week i went to a koi-pond store at markham rd and major mac. they have used momotaro BH for sale. (but it is very dark) and they have mats too.

Been looking for momotaro BH myself but can't find. When you say dark are you saying grey? Hrm. Might take a look

chen88

Super Moderator
ok...no wasting time then!...sigh...still looking for momotaro BH!...doesn't anyone have any? yeesh...

Marowana420

its really black, the guy was explaining to me why they turned black. but it being so ugly i lost interest and tuned out. i did buy some mats from him thou. the dense rubbery kind. looks good in my sump, i hope it works as good as it looks.

aaronc

its really black, the guy was explaining to me why they turned black. but it being so ugly i lost interest and tuned out. i did buy some mats from him thou. the dense rubbery kind. looks good in my sump, i hope it works as good as it looks.

if you dont mind me asking how much was the mat?.. its the dark green or black mat if i remember correctly?

oshiet

Be careful when shopping for BH media. There's been a lot of fake stuff flying around.

There is one good method that I've found on how to regenerate any old porous media (rock, ceramic, or sintered glass type) that has clogged over the time of usage. Every year or so, I take half the media in my sump and boil it (rolling boil) for a good 15 minutes. This of course will kill any good or bad bacteria.
Then I lay on a baking pan and lightly tent with foil wrap and bake it in the oven on clean mode or BBQ for 3 hours at 500+ degrees. This should burn off anything that has clogged the pores of the media and increase it's filtering capacity.

Since most of us usually pack our sumps with enough media to filter thousands of gallons, removing half shouldn't promote an ammonia spike and the beneficial bacteria should quickly colonize. However, this is only from my own experience and I would recommend that you monitor your parameters if you decide to try this.

This should especially help some people (like myself) save some money instead of going out and buying more expensive media.

BTW, it's best you do this while the wife's not around! ;)

chen88

Super Moderator
I don't know about expensive filter media anymore...My new 100 gal sump came full of bioballs so I'm going to use those but will be putting in all my media from my Eheim Pro 3 and FX5 which are all eheim substrate into the new sump to seed it as I'll be cycling my tank for only 2 weeks before moving the fish in. I will also be using seachem stability.

Most North American sites have people buying pot scrubbers to use and has been very popular and effective....

Marowana420

if you dont mind me asking how much was the mat?.. its the dark green or black mat if i remember correctly?

they have black & green and a few more. i got half a sheet (3'x2') of the more dense black one for $61 after tax.

the guy is on vacation this week

GRANDDRAGON

The Bakki is dark because they used potassium permanganate in the ponds for treating the koi. I would not reccommend to purchase these for it could have leached other medications also.:)

danfong88

The Bakki is dark because they used potassium permanganate in the ponds for treating the koi. I would not reccommend to purchase these for it could have leached other medications also.:)

I total agree...KISS ( keep it simply stuip). Mechancial with floss or sponge with filter out the large particles. Then cermanic rings or Bacteria house, then sponge will clean the water. As for bio ball, I heard they create lots of nitrate for fresh water. It is meant for Salt water set up. But, I have been using bioballs too but I have notice my phoshate level are higher 1.2 ppm. So water changes are must to create a health environment for your aro and tank mates.

This my 2 cent .... good luck find a perfect media.... ( does not exist)...