Filtration options for 150/180

Aro51

I'm about to place an order for my next tank and am looking for some filtration advise and experiences you guys can share.

Tank size: Either a standard 150g or 180g
Livestock: 1 gold aro + 1 ray

1) Which option will provide better filtration?

Option A - Two Eheim Pro 3 2080 canisters (rated for 320g tanks or 450gph return each)

Option B - 3ft sump with Water Blaster HY-7000 pump (rated at 1800gph)

2) Are the Eheim thermofilters worth considering?

3) If I choose the sump, is a single corner overflow sufficient or do I need 2?

Thanks!

CanadaPleco

I'd go with the sumo over the 2080's. i have both a 2080 and a 2180 (thermo) and think a sump setup does a better job. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Aro51

The tank will be a 5x2x2 or a 6x2x2.

Are u finding the canisters insufficient for your tank? What size tank do u have?

xbacala

To me, 2x2080 is too much for 180g tank.

I have 300G tank, with 1 aro + 2 ray + 4 discus:
1 x 2080
1 x 2215: for surface skimer
1 x 2217: for bottom skimmer.

Perfect water quality. Fishes aare very happy.

Try to avoid 2018. It's too expensive and lot of people report the thermo failed in a couble of year.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks

Aro51

Thanks.

Any advise on whether a single overflow is recommended over a double for a 6x2x2?

mitchb

If you haven't got the tank yet, and are buying it new, couldn't you order it drilled or drill it after then you don't need the overflows, and could match it up with the right size sump?

I have a 180 with a 55 as a sump running a mag 18, and love it, so easy to swap out the filter socks, the bio just sits there and I can add whatever I want to it without taking the top off of a canister or any of the mess. I do also have a fluval 405 or 304 running off of one of the chambers in the sump packed with floss, I use it to suck up the garbage off the bottom of the sump tank which makes cleaning even easier.

Aro51

If you haven't got the tank yet, and are buying it new, couldn't you order it drilled or drill it after then you don't need the overflows, and could match it up with the right size sump?

I have a 180 with a 55 as a sump running a mag 18, and love it, so easy to swap out the filter socks, the bio just sits there and I can add whatever I want to it without taking the top off of a canister or any of the mess. I do also have a fluval 405 or 304 running off of one of the chambers in the sump packed with floss, I use it to suck up the garbage off the bottom of the sump tank which makes cleaning even easier.

I do plan to order it drilled. Why wouldn't i need the overflows though?

mitchb

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking of the siphon overflows, like the cpr ones, that hang on the side and was wondering why someone would opt for those as opposed to a drilled tank when buying new.

chen88

Super Moderator
I'd go with option b with the sump. I have the 2080's and the flow is terrible so having 2 of them on the 180gal is not that much!...volume is good on the 2080, but flow is terrible. you can save yourself some money by going with 2 fx5's instead of the 2080 if you decide not to go the sump route. I've had both the fx5 and the 2080 and would recommend the fx5 for the money and flow.

Aro51

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking of the siphon overflows, like the cpr ones, that hang on the side and was wondering why someone would opt for those as opposed to a drilled tank when buying new.

Ohhh...i used to have those on my 90 reef. Wasn't a big fan of them.

I think i'll go with the single overflow option.