Foam under tank

hugh

I have read alot of different opinions on putting foam under your tank for support so that the tank does not crack and some say the pressure from the foam will cause a crack.

I built my stand and it is level atall four corners and angles. The question is do I still need to or should put foam on the stand then put the tank on top?

thanks

tman

Super Moderator
For tanks 90 gallons and lower I haven't used anything but for 150 and bigger I use 1" or 2" insulation board plus plywood.

Loner

I have read alot of different opinions on putting foam under your tank for support so that the tank does not crack and some say the pressure from the foam will cause a crack.

I built my stand and it is level atall four corners and angles. The question is do I still need to or should put foam on the stand then put the tank on top?

thanks

For bigger tanks, it is alway good to have foam at the base. :)

It helps to prevent cracking of the tank at the base due to uneven surface and also, it helps to spread out the pressure exerted by the tank evenly.

jsodwi

I believe you only use foam for a flat bottom tank like acrylic and some tank manufactures like glasscages who build flat bottom tanks recommend it to take out imperfections of the stand. Standard glass tanks like Marineland, AGA, Aqueon. Don't need it

mitchb

I put it under all my tanks, from what I have read it is generally advised if there is no black frame around the bottom of the tank, as that is the place where the pressure is distributed through.

For tanks that lay flat it is adivsed, as some stands will have imperfections and the foam helps to even out the pressure as it is between the tank and stand.

hugh

My tank is a glass marineland braced with black trim and base what I have read and feedback here, I think I will go without foam.

fluidmotion

There is no such thing as a perfectly straight leveled aquarium or stand, unfortunatly. That said, I would strongly advise everyone use foam between tank and stand, especially metal stands. it just offers extra insurance.