FROGS FOR AROWANA

energie604

Hey, as some places are illegal to capture/sell bullfrogs in Canada, what kind of frogs do you feed your arowana for the best outcome?

Loner

Bro,

The main purpose of feeding frogs is to build the mass of the Aro.

As long as it is not poisonous frog, u can feed.

What other feeds are available in your area ? Might sharing ?

Loner

Insects like crickets, locust available ?

That will help in building the mass too.

What type of Aro u are keeping ?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have imported frogs from Indonesia before, but generally too expensive I think. It works out to about $1.50 per frog.

Here are a couple videos of some of the frogs I imported being fed to an aro in Vancouver:

I know a wildlife biologist who has told me it would be easy to harvest bullfrog tadpoles/frogs in very large numbers in the spring around the lower mainland in BC.

American bullfrogs are an invasive species so there should be no problem in doing this.

The main challenge is that there is usually only a two-three week window of opportunity to harvest the bullfrogs before they leave the water sources.

Loner

Bro Cirrus,

Nice Goldie u have there.

Just a humble suggestion, the 2 pointed ends of the driftwood might cause injuries to the Aro if it happen to dash around the tank.

Also, u have a very stable 4 bars Datnoides too.

Tfs

energie604

Insects like crickets, locust available ?

That will help in building the mass too.

What type of Aro u are keeping ?

yea no i don't want crickets and i dont think locust is available. yea i heard frogs were really good food for like once or twice a week to help coloration of the arowana and growth

Loner

yea no i don't want crickets and i dont think locust is available. yea i heard frogs were really good food for like once or twice a week to help coloration of the arowana and growth

Bro,

Frog is only good for growth not color development. N regular feeding too and not twice a week.

energie604

Bro,

Frog is only good for growth not color development. N regular feeding too and not twice a week.

nah not regular feeding, too much protein. I'm referring to bullfrogs btw, and they are good for growth + colour development of the fish.

Loner

came across some random thread in arofanatics, some dude was talking about how bullfrogs helped the super red arowana with colour + bulk

LOL !

Nutrient transfer issues again.

If one can feed the nutrients directly to the Aro, why is there a need to have this nutrient transfer ?

For body mass, feed frog
For color development especially Red, feed shrimps.

If keen in trying off the shelves minerals and vitamins, use a syringe and inject a portion of the solution into the shrimps or feeds before feeding.

Worms are not really a good source of food unless you are referring to caterpillars.

energie604

LOL !

Nutrient transfer issues again.

If one can feed the nutrients directly to the Aro, why is there a need to have this nutrient transfer ?

For body mass, feed frog
For color development especially Red, feed shrimps.

If keen in trying off the shelves minerals and vitamins, use a syringe and inject a portion of the solution into the shrimps or feeds before feeding.

Worms are not really a good source of food unless you are referring to caterpillars.

you sound like your a pro, you got a super red arowana? mind posting some photos?

energie604

So sorry, I don't post picture. I post videos.

I had just posted 3 of my collections.

U can have a look in my thread

all good, even better link me up here with some new ones, why you so pro for man?
hahaha those are some sick fish you got

energie604

Oic, so that's ur local slang.

Mind showing your sick fish too ? :p

ya man haha, ok here is a picture
what do you think?
arowana.jpg

Loner

Nice fish.

Would strongly advise not to feed SW.

Growth rate is inpropotional to color development.

Optimum growth = min color
Optimum color = min growth.
Balance = optimum fish.

:)