Gerry, Photography for Dummies?

AroNoob

Hey Gerry,

Have you ever written a guide to aquarium photography? I know you've recommended the Canon 60mm f/2.8, do you mean the EF-S? If so, what would recommend for my Canon 5D Mark II?

Thanks,

Ron

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I have not written a guide, yet. I'm debating doing a dvd, actually.

Are you shooting mostly large fish with your 5d, or a mix of big and small?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
The reason I ask is because with a full frame sensor, you may even want to consider the 100mm f/2.8. Since I started with my full frame, my 60mm never sees the light of day anymore for fish. My 105mm is the shortest I use.

AroNoob

DVD would be great.

Currently shooting no fish but I thought if I decide to buy my wife a new lense, it might as well be good for me too.

I have the EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS USM and a EF 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS USM, would either of them work? Mostly my wifes gear, I just buy it so I don't know what would be suitable.

Thanks,

Ron

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Both those lenses will cover useful focal lengths for fish. The 24-105mm might not produce great results without overhead flash, but I've never shot with it, so I can't say that for sure. The 2.8 70-200 could probably be used almost in the dark. ;)

AroNoob

My wife has strobes for studio photography so I could probably set those up, definitely going to be more work than setting up a light box for snakes. So would suggest a prime lens instead?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
No, not until you've tried the two lenses you already have. I'm thinking the 70-200 will do just fine, especially on a full frame. :)