Grading BDs?

exoticaquaria

quality/quantity of spots. more/bigger the spots is usually whats most sought after.

really top grade bd will have full rim spotting PLUS edge spotting. followed by eclipse, islands, etc etc.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
It seems really subject to personal taste. I personally prefer a "classic" BD look like the ones that are wild caught up the Xingu in Brazil. Oliver Lucanus has imported these to Canada before and they look really beautiful. Doughnuts and belly spotting would be high on my list of desirable traits.

The F2's and beyond being bred out of Asia seem to go in two different directions in terms of their look. There are those that continue to resemble the wild caughts and then there are those that almost look to be line bred or hybridized to accentuate certain characteristics, like having many big spots, or having spots that are a strong snow white as opposed to a more ivory/golden colour.

I have not imported any BD's yet, but I have been sent hundreds of photos by breeders and exporters over the years, and so that is what I base my thoughts on.