Hazy eyes

frozen-fire

I've noticed that my red has a slight haze over the eye.... there's also a small white spot in the center of the pupil as well. My black in the same tank does not have this however.... It's not to the point where it seems threatening though.

Any ideas? :confused:

EKen

Super Moderator
Any abrupt ph change recently? You can do the "usual" treatment. Adjust the temp a bit higher (31-32oC) and add salt. Works everytime for me for light cloudy eyes.

ninjaturtle

temp is at about 31C and I have been adding salt. Doesn't seem to be getting any better though.

maybe he slammed his eye onto the driftwood? mine sometimes get that when things touch his eyes. do a water change then add salt, that always work for me

EKen

Super Moderator
Did it occur suddenly? Or was it after a water change? Cloudy eyes don't go away that quick. It takes a few (2-3) weeks to completely clear out. Try changing water more often, I did water change each other day, with small amounts (about 10%). If in a week it does not get better, you can add in Melafix.

With Melafix, always read the appropriate dosing. Be careful with the Melafix, as there is 2 types available, the "normal" one and the "pond" one. The pond one is much more concentrate, hence why you have to read the dosing on the bottle carefully.

Hope everything goes back to normal soon.

Boydo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did it occur suddenly? Or was it after a water change? Cloudy eyes don't go away that quick. It takes a few (2-3) weeks to completely clear out. Try changing water more often, I did water change each other day, with small amounts (about 10%). If in a week it does not get better, you can add in Melafix.

With Melafix, always read the appropriate dosing. Be careful with the Melafix, as there is 2 types available, the "normal" one and the "pond" one. The pond one is much more concentrate, hence why you have to read the dosing on the bottle carefully.

Hope everything goes back to normal soon.

Well said!

Arowana are a very hardy fish and recover very well, sometimes eye injuries can take several weeks to recover so don't worry and be patient, if salt isn't working well, melafix works great - I would suggest you start with half dose and observe.

Good Luck,

frozen-fire

Thanks...

I'm assumming it has something to do with my water quality despite the fact I am running 2 RENA XP4's and perform 25% water changes weekly.

I am ruling out injury as both eyes seem to have equal haziness and the same white dot.

EKen

Super Moderator
If I remember right, you do have gravel. Maybe you could clean the gravel as well.

Does this mean that the Black Aro is more hardy than the asian one?

frozen-fire

It's currently a bare bottom tank. The gravel was removed when I decided to paint the bottom and back glass a flat black colour.

It probably does mean that the black is more hardy than the asian haha.

EKen

Super Moderator
Is your Chili still eating well and swimming properly? If so, I believe you do not need to worry too much and let the fish natural ability to heal works by itself. They did not live thousands of years for nothing...

frozen-fire

swims fine, but is more skittish than normal. freaking out a bit whenever I come close to inspect. appetite has decreased a bit. still taking superworms though.

I'm going to do a larger water change tonight.... like 40%. add some aquarium salt and kick the heater up a few notches to 32C

EKen

Super Moderator
Frozen-Fire:
I am no expert. But I do not think that if your fish is already stressed a large water change is helpful. I think you better do small water changes regularly. You do not want stress your fish even more.

frozen-fire

from what i know, it's a bacterial infection creating a haze over the eye. probably due to some sudden change in water quality. i'm currently doing the melafix treatment.