Help Please

Arrow

I just picked up a new red a couple of days ago.
He has been floating at the surface just minding his own buisness, today I see him at the fx5 exhaust as usual and notice him rub his cheek against the bit of pipe thts expsed.
Upon close inspection I see that there is some skin missing(a patch) behind his cheek on the lower half of his gill plate on his right side but the left seems off aswell but not as bad.

Now being that its new to the tank it is harder to diagnose a problem but do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions?

He was eating strictly mealworms at the lfs, can worms carry parisites?
Has not eaten in my care yet but all I have tried feeding was a couple of food sticks which I didnt expect him to take.

I acclimated the fish properly for 20min and then dumped him, and the mix of old and new water in. Could this have been the problem because thats what I did with the banjar and he was fine?

The tank temp is 82deg, I did a 40% waterchange the morning before bringing him home and am going to check my params right now.

Could it be a parisite or possibly ich although I dont see any signs of ich yet? Is there a general cure that I should treat with?

There is no other rough surface for him to rub on and for now I wrapped the exhaust with filter floss.

Params should be fine but will post results in a few.

Arrow

Params are ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, ph 7.6.

I just added salt and upped the temp on the heater to 84 so hopefully that will cimb by tonight.

James Sananikone

Params are ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, ph 7.6.

I just added salt and upped the temp on the heater to 84 so hopefully that will cimb by tonight.

Plus to what you have done, adding an extra air stone should make him feel more comfortable in the tank !

Arrow

you said this was a new tank setup? how long has it been set up?

New fish but same setup, the tank has been running for over a year, BB is well established in all three filters.

Also I have tonnes of surface agitation from the spray bars for oxygen, its like a snowstorm of bubbles everywhere LOL

Hes swimming around fine for a newly introduced fish but the gill plates look off.

I will leave him be with the upped temp and salt for a few days and look for rubbing or flashing.
Hopefully its just me being overly paranoid

Last edited:

Arrow

I tried to take some pics but you cant really see anything in them.

What are some common problems in arows that would affect the gill area?
I know ich could live in the gills without being spread throughout the body but I really dont think its ich. Any other thoughts?

Arrow

Def not ammo or nitrite burn, what are the symptoms for flukes?

Gonna google it and see what I find