Help! RTG swallowed clown loach

roninkenshin

Came home to find my one of my 3 1/2"-4" clowns missing, looked around the tank but couldn't see where it may be hiding. At the same time, notice there is a big bulge in my Panda gold supreme's stomach. Should I be concerned with the spines from the CL getting lodged in the digestive system:confused:

m_class2g

Sponsor
its too late now to do anything. if he swallowed the loach already, you can only hope no damage was done. good luck!!

roninkenshin

He's still swimming around like he would after getting fed, but I've fished out the other loaches except for the 7". BTW the PGS is about 14". Just concerned because I've seen the spines erect when I netted the smaller loaches out of the tank and they look pretty long.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
While this is not a good thing, don't discount the digestive abilities of these predators. Hopefully he took it in head first and hopefully he doesn't have any problems.

hustler

you should be fine..... Ive had some silvers eat things that arent supposed to fit with no ill effects.

glamit

my bbxb actually just ate a clown loach. i left it for the night the next morning the bulge was still the same size he also didnt eat, so i added epsom salt and left it for another day with the same result. Then i added a half dose prazipro to see what would happen 12 hours later he lost the bulge and was back to normal eating habits. it couldve just taken that long for him to digest or the prazi couldve help that i dont know for sure

Joey

He'll be fine.... If the barb on the loach hurt the aro, you'd know it by now...

I just added 8 siver dollars to my tank... all were around 3" in size... i didnt think he would be able to swallow them, due to them being a disc shape. But he ate them all, in less then 24hrs.. He was able to fit them in his mouth side ways, then crush them in his jaws until he bent them enough to fit down his throat...

hustler

Ohh yeah he will be just fine.... Ive seen them eating bullfrogs, softshell turtles and even chomping at crayfish for food....
They are tough fish to say the least...
Its the suctioncups and air stones you have to keep an eye on LOL

Jeeze... old post... sorry