Internal Water Pump Suggestion?

exoticaquaria

i just setup my tank with 2 quiet one 9000s. the water flow is great but they are LOUD. the tank is in my living room and i cannot have that. i was wondering what else you guys are using for internal pumps that are quiet/energy efficient and powerful? is there such a pump!? lol

i need to replace the quiet ones.... my tank volume is approx 300 gallons with my sump at another 100 gallon. so total is around 400 gallons. your suggestion would be appreciated!!!!!

mitchb

i love my mag drive 18, no noise at all and haven't had any issues with it at all. not sure on how the energy efficiency is, but isn't that something that all internal pumps usually struggle at when comparing to external pumps?

chen88

Super Moderator
yeah I was going to suggest a mag 18....anything larger then the 18 could get a bit noisy as well.

exoticaquaria

thanks for the info guys. ive just read some reviews on marine depot and they seem to have mixed reviews for noise level. some say its loud and some say its quiet.

looks like a good choice so far. maybe ill go to JL aquatics and get them to test them out for me!

i guess ill have to change all the fittings again after i get this pump! new check valve etc. gah.

mitchb

i think after the mag 18 the output size changes so if you look into the bigger ones you might be able to match up what you currently run with a similar sized diameter output would make your life easier?

exoticaquaria

i dont mind doing the work or buying a few more parts if the new pump is very quiet. i just cant handle the noise. at this point im only using one lol. so only 1 overflow is working.

any other ones i can consider!?

i might go to the closest lfs and try out a mag 18 and see if they are quiet enough for my likings. do they become loud in time or stay the same as first operated?

hondas3000

Check Rona pond pump mike. I have mine 6500gph for more then 2 years now and everything seem fine. Power consumption is not bad either. I forgot the brand but you can drop by rona and check it out.

aaronc

hands down, best pump i own, i got 3 7000 water blasters. each run 12 outputs and a central system, dead quiet and best of all 88 watts. so far i been using my oldest one for say 1 year now and no problems. hope that helps.

exoticaquaria

thanks for the info!

theres not much info online so it was hard to make the decision!

x2 7000 model enough to run about 400 gallons of water!?

aaronc

i would say that is enough based on my experience, however watch out for how tall the tank is and head pressure of the return, as i find they are not as great as external water pumps for head lift.

exoticaquaria

pump to the top will be almost 5 feet. i think thats not too too bad. 2 feet for tank and the stand is almost 3 feet.

maybe this is the way to go unless i find something else!

exoticaquaria

thanks to aaronc, i decided to go with the water blasters.

i ended up with water blaster pumps. 7000 model. i read some good reviews and got confirmation that they are a copy of the best water pump made, the red dragon pumps. i got them from a canadian dealer, goreef.com. cost me quite a bit of money at $260 each but they have a 3 yr straight replacement warranty by goreef.com. i hope this will solve my noise situation lol. another great thing about this pump is that it only uses 88w!!! since im running 2 of these guys, ill be saving a ton of money from my hydro bill in the long run. the mag drive and quiet one uses a lot more wattage than the water blasters.

here is a link to the water blaster website:

http://coralvue.com/waterblaster-pumps/