Low water level

laz_dvl

How come in all the pics I see on the internet, all aro keepers keep there water level so low??? Isn't it hard to keep the water clean???

lo sai

the water levels are kept low because arowanas are great jumpers. they can either jump out of the tank or severely hurt themselves.

Kenta

Administrator
i prefer to keep my water level very high, with only 1-2" between the water level and glass tops just because of my bichirs that need access to air... otherwise i would only keep 1" in between

lo sai

i leave about 1-2" but there are ways to hide the look by adding trim or whatver matches your stand and tank

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I think a full tank looks better, but I only run my 180g at 1/2 -> 3/4 , partially because of jumping, mainly because of floor weight (im in an apartment)

lo sai

hey yuppa, i always wondered about that. how much can apartment floors take in weight?
do you live on a wood floored with joists or a concrete floor slab?

Yuppa

Super Moderator
yeah wood floor joints.. old apartment too..

theres some fancy math that explains weight distribution over the surface area of floor and what beam spacing can take what..
however most buildings adhere to minimum building standards and i have never lived in a place that had closer then the minimum 18"

lo sai

i think there was someone on the forum with an apartment and he said the building only allowed him 100gals

has anyone tried 200+gals on wood joists or on a second level on a home?