MBU puffer need second opinions

well, i have own this mbu puffer for about 5 weeks, it eats and it grow from 5"
to 6". i placed him in 65gallon 48"x18"x18" with largest aquaclear hangover filter also one FX5. I also do water change every 4-5days with overnight water same temp and with airstone running.

However the problem is that, he isnt moving much, he stay at the bottom all time. he is by him self and i feed him one or two mp per day. isnt mbu puffer be ACTIVE.

then i went to that puffer.com forum. all the reponses i receive is that the bio-load is too high, the water isnt cycle, the tank is too small for 6" puffer, the small tank stunt him.

i just dont see whats wrong of putting a 6" puffer into 48"x18"18" tank. they keep saying that i am crazy and the bio-load from the 6" puffer is through the roof.

what do you guys think??

Last edited:

Joey

If he is the only thing in the tank, the bio-load is fine.

Im not familiar with puffers, but i do know a Mbu needs a massive tank to grow properly. Eventually needing a tank of several hundred gallons.

What are your waters readings?

he is the only fish there.

can anyone explain to me how is bio-load to be high for puffer, what factors bio-load? the amount of food they eat and how active they are??

i know he will need a bigger tank, but why is 48"x18"x18" not good enough for 6" puffer??

skynoch

lol the puffer forum says you need at least a 1000 gallon tank for a mbu puffer. Stingrays put off way more of a bioload than a mbu does. I was keeping in a 280 gal a 9" mbu puffer in with 5 rays between 6"-12", 3 tats 6" llong a 6" Frt and a 10" meglodorus iwirni and had no problems keeping the water parameters good. The mbu would almost allways just stay in an area about 1/4 of the tank size and never really wonder around. I cleared out almost all the fish except 1 tat and 2 small scobina rays (around 6 and 7") and it still stays in the same spot. Other people I've talked to have notcied the same thing. If you can keep a ray with good water parameters a mbu is a piece of cake.

i told them the water of my 65 gallon tank is from my 100 gallon tank and i moved one filter from 100 gallon to 65 gallon just to keep the bacteria, and 100 gallon tank have being running for over one years.

and this is one of the response;

"Using water from another tank is like filling up your drinking water jug from the toilet tank."

and they doubt me that i dont understand a bit about fishkeeping because i dont have testing kit. and yes i dont have test kit, but my fish live and grow.

skynoch

I don't think alot of the people on the pufferforum are use to keeping monster fish and the requirements that go along with it so they never had to tax thier systems the same as we do and keep it healthy. Your tank and setup is fine. You will know when it is time to move your puffer to a bigger tank.

Joey

i told them the water of my 65 gallon tank is from my 100 gallon tank and i moved one filter from 100 gallon to 65 gallon just to keep the bacteria, and 100 gallon tank have being running for over one years.

and this is one of the response;

"Using water from another tank is like filling up your drinking water jug from the toilet tank."

and they doubt me that i dont understand a bit about fishkeeping because i dont have testing kit. and yes i dont have test kit, but my fish live and grow.

They are correct in saying that using water from another tank is like using toilet water.

There is no bacteria in water. The only thing you transfer over to the new tank with the old water is nitrates and stale water.

Bacteria lives on a surface, not in the water column. Transferring water from one tank to another is always a bad idea. Not only is that water worthless in terms of quality(stale water full of nitrates) But you also risk cross contamination. You may have something in one tank, that you didnt know was in there, now its in both.

A tank of several hundred gallons for a full grown Mbu, is not an exaggeration.
It will eventually need something in the 300 gallon range.... will it need a 1000 gal tank like they say? no. will it prefer 1000 gals over 300? sure. Not needed though.

Transferring filters is generally an easy way to jump start a tank. Generally making it instantly cycled. But you have to insure the tank its comming off is a healthy tank with no new additions.

How did you set up this tank specifically?

They are correct in saying that using water from another tank is like using toilet water.

There is no bacteria in water. The only thing you transfer over to the new tank with the old water is nitrates and stale water.

Bacteria lives on a surface, not in the water column. Transferring water from one tank to another is always a bad idea. Not only is that water worthless in terms of quality(stale water full of nitrates) But you also risk cross contamination. You may have something in one tank, that you didnt know was in there, now its in both.

A tank of several hundred gallons for a full grown Mbu, is not an exaggeration.
It will eventually need something in the 300 gallon range.... will it need a 1000 gal tank like they say? no. will it prefer 1000 gals over 300? sure. Not needed though.

Transferring filters is generally an easy way to jump start a tank. Generally making it instantly cycled. But you have to insure the tank its comming off is a healthy tank with no new additions.

How did you set up this tank specifically?

1. MBU was at the 100gal tank, then i transfer about 35-40gallon water from 100gal tank into another 65gallons tank and filled both tank with aged tap water. in the mean time i place one of aquaclear 500 from 100gal to 65 gal, and install new fx5 into 65gal tank.

2. after 24 hrs, i do another 35% water change, i put 35gallon from 100gal tank into 65gal tank. then fill 100gal tank with 24hr aged tap water.

3. then the next day i moved the mbu puffer from 100gal into 65gal.

do you suggest next time i should use all aged tap water into 65 gallons?

my aged tap water, is store in 150gallon barrel with heater and airstone running inside.

i have no doubt that MBU will need a bigger tank, is it fine for 6" puffer in a 65gallon tank?

i just find it bothering that whenever i ask about mbu puffer, ppl always ask about the tank size, its like i should prepare 1000gal tank in advance for a 6" puffer.

puffer tank.JPG

Joey

yes, always use fresh water. There should never be a reason to transfer water unless your running a saltwater tank.

From the sounds of it, you may have experienced a mini cycle. Keep up with water changes and up them to every 2-3 days. Also, do larger water changes then you are now. Your not diluting enough. Around 50-60%. That will cover any water quality issues if that is the issue. You can go back to normal water changes if you notice a difference in the puffer.

From the looks of the tank... that puffer looks lonely. Perhaps throw a fake plant or flowerpot in there for him.. or even a few dither fish... that might bring him around.

You may be bothered by people asking you about tank size when you ask about Mbu... but we're no different as ray keepers. We always ask that same question. That whole 1000gal for a Mbu is crazy though. A tank half that size would be generous for a full grown puffer. I have no idea why they all regurgitate that number to each other. an 8x4x2 would be plenty.

skynoch

I'm going to agree and disagree with Joey on transfering water from one tank to another to start a new tank. He is correct about the bacteria and also the water not being as healthy but if you maintain healthy water conditions in your current tank and are starting a new tank there is nothing wrong with the water you are using, different situations call for different answers. There is also a danger if you live in a soft water area when transfering fish without using the old water and that can be a difference in ph,water hardness and in emergency situations tank temp. In the area I live in I would do it like Joey stated.
As for the eyes of your rays I have heard the storys of this happening with people and deeper sand beds and this could be a risky combo. With my mbu I'm not the least bit worried. My sand bed is only a 1/4" deep which is not enough for a ray to bury itself and my mbu eats once a day even though there is food in there twice a day for the rays.
You do need some sand on the bottom and some fake/real plants in there also.

m_class2g

Sponsor
add a tankmate for him to chase around lol. usually just not acclimated. ive seen some mbus at lfs that are hyper active and some that just sit there. you can always have a lazy one.... which kind of sucks.

just like red devil cichlids. some are more aggressive and bangs the glass more than others.

i think you water is fine.