Metal stand on hardwood floor

CHILLI RED

I am buying a tank with metal stand and it will be sitting on a hardwood floor. I need ideas about how to not damage the floor. I guess I should lay down another piece of wood under the stand or a rug. I dont want it to look bad though. Thanks for any suggestions.:)

chen88

Super Moderator
is your stand on 4 post? or a window frame type? you can simply lay down 2x4's or 2x6's and have the stand sit on them! This also will spread the weight of your tank evenly on your floor.

rudy

Buy a rubber underlay for a floating floor (like cork or something). The stand may still dent your floor (if thats a concern buy 1/4 icnch a sheet of plywood and put it under the stand) but in my mind that is the least of your concerns. You will get some moisture on around the stand and the rust will stain your floor so the rubber matting with prevent this and can be cut so it is not noticeable.

CHILLI RED

Thanks Chen. Im not sure which type of stand it is-4 post or not. I think I will try your idea though. My wife would want me dead if I damage the hardwood floor!

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I run a 180g on a 4 post metal stand on hardwood.. I use squares of wood under each leg and it doesn't damage the floor.. It also helps to spread the weight out over more floor beams..

Arrow

If the metal 4post stand is your only option then Yuppa's advive is best as far as looks go, However I would go with another wood stand if at all possible.
You could sell the steel stand and and use that money towards a new one or even better building one is cheaper.