My baby Panda Red

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have spent the last couple years outside Canada, but am now ready to commit to keeping at least one Asian aro! I picked up a baby Panda Red from the last group order; it came in at 5-6 inches, so way too small to know how it will turn out. Lo Sai has its sibling, so you can see what it looked like in the last photo (of the fish in the bag) when it arrived.

The fish is currently in a 150 gallon with an Ausralian lungfish. I'll add a FF and NTT I have in another tank shortly.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this fish will turn out. I could spend more for a larger fish with confirmed colour characteristics...but then I would miss out on the challenge and gamble of getting a baby SR and watching it develop (or not!). :)

So far I think the fish is okay; doesn't seem to have any DE; I wonder about PLJ though? What do you think? :)

Attachments

• January 2009 001.jpg
    January 2009 001.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 691
  • January 2009 081.jpg
    January 2009 081.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 703
  • January 2009 082.jpg
    January 2009 082.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 684
  • January 2009 083.jpg
    January 2009 083.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 675
  • January 2009 084.jpg
    January 2009 084.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 685
  • January 2009 085.jpg
    January 2009 085.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 664
  • January 2009 086.jpg
    January 2009 086.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 710
  • January 2009 087.jpg
    January 2009 087.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 693
  • September%202008%20571.jpg
    September%202008%20571.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

arl

Nice SR Cirrus! So you have this SR and a bunch of panda golds now? or did you cancel the RTG com plan?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Nice SR Cirrus! So you have this SR and a bunch of panda golds now? or did you cancel the RTG com plan?

Here, the attached photo will tell you the status of my Panda Gold community tank! :D

With some major construction left to do in my basment to get this tank ready (in the summer I hope), I got scared about having a com tank of aros in a 150 till then. Better to get the big tank up and running and then get the fish I think.... :)

Attachments

• January 2009 068.jpg
    January 2009 068.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 654

m_class2g

Sponsor
nice red theo! keep us updated on his progress for sure. as far as the big tank goes, cant wait til you set that thing up. gona be real nice with some full grown aros in there.

carcrazy

That is a really nice monster sized tank, your aros should be happy in there when it is set up.

EKen

Super Moderator
I see no DE at this point. He seems, at least from the pictures, to be the what I call deep-eyes type. His eyes are not "protruding" that much from his head, and those types tend to not get DE, at least not when they are still young.

I am no way an expert, but here's what I think.

Some pictures suggest that he might get PLJ later. Lower lip is already starting to overlap.

Colors are so-so, but he is still really small and young. He seems to have the long body and bullet head type, kind of the SheLookRED body type, if you ever saw those typical SheLookRED.

Keep us updated, it's gonna be fun to see how he develops.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Thanks for comments all!

It will indeed be fun to see how this fish develops. I agree with your description of the fish 100% Eken. And no, I am not an expert in grading aros either. We are just serious hobbyists with some experience. :)

Eken, interesting that you see this fish as a "Shelookred" type; I always think of those fish as being more long bodied. I think my fish, and Panda fish in general, are more short/deep bodied. Panda fish more of a fan tail, Shelook/Indo fish with more of a diamond tail? Panda golds are definitely more bullet head, but I think their reds can be somewhat spoony too half the time.

So far, out of all the Panda Reds in Canada, M_class has the hands down winner (that I know of anyway - keep in mind not a lot of owners even post here). Too bad Russel's jumped out of his tank last year as that was a nice one too. The old saying that it is 50% genetics and 50% ownership that determines the outcome of your fish means I just have to do my part now. :)

Last edited: