My first Asian ARO

G_sharky

Here's my newly purchase RTG arowana from Gold Ocean Aquarium.....Thanks to Granddragon and Johnny for hooking me up with this beaty...this are the first snap cause I don't wanna stress the fish and the tank is lights out and covered up with blankets at the moment....Will post more pics when the fish is comfortable and have been acclimitized on it's new tank....here are some crappy pics:

100_4134.jpg

100_4137.jpg

100_4141.jpg

here is the cert and this fish was scan when I pick it from the comm tank
100_4153.jpg

ninjaturtle

hey nice,

why does it say "Golden Red" ?

btw just a few pointers from exp. with small aros
1. feed them on the very first day (small aros needs lots of meals)
2. feed variety, mine grew real quick on shrimp, guppies, bloodworms, beef, chicken, pork n fish.

Last edited:

G_sharky

I came to the store early this afternoon and Johnny feed it with some pellets and shrimps as you could see he still has a full belly.....I will snap a pic of the whole tank tommorow....tankmates includes plecos, clown loaches, and small front kigoma...

Dragonguy

hey nice,

why does it say "Golden Red" ?

btw just a few pointers from exp. with small aros
1. feed them on the very first day (small aros needs lots of meals)
2. feed variety, mine grew real quick on shrimp, guppies, bloodworms, beef, chicken, pork n fish.

I would not feed a small aro the first time you introduce it in the tank. It might get a stomach problem. I know some people like to feed the fish so they know if the fish is eating. However you must not do this with asian aros.

GRANDDRAGON

Hey no problem just wanted to help out a fellow hobbist. Fish looks great. Let us know how the fish is doing and post pics of the development of your newly acquired RTG. Welcome to Asian Arowana keeping:)

frozen-fire

very nice...

one thing though... is that crushed/fossilized coral as substrate?
I see you have a bunch of 7 stripe/kigoma frontosa, so maybe you're using this substrate to help buffer and raise the pH.
I don't think that's too good for the aro, as they prefer softer water. The soft water also calms them down a lot more. Could be the reason why your aro is super skittish.
If it's not crushed coral, then it's just your aro taking time to settle in. Give it a few days... it'll come around.

G_sharky

no the substrate is just plain white/brown gravel....and the water isn't hard as I've never added any buffer on my water or plaid around the hardness and ph even when I was keeping africans...it's always been water straight from the tap and off course water conditioner...

G_sharky

I have an 1 aqua flora plus bulb and 1 actinic blue bulb...both are 30 Watts i think....here are more pics:

100_4195.jpg

100_4197.jpg