My rays had pups!

carcrazy

My two motoro rays had 2 baby rays on Wednesday! As I didn't have any black worms for them, I had to drive 100 miles to the LFS after work to buy some (didn't get home till 10:30). That was a long but memorable day!:D

I got the first one out into an empty 50g to be safe but the second one I found today in the overflow! I don't know how he got in there but he seems to be doing alright. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get him out as I have to remove the durso in the overflow first. He should be safe in there by himself for now.

They will eventually go into the 270g with my new red aro (after I finish paying for him). Now I'm really going to be busy with water changes! :rolleyes:

carcrazy

I removed the durso pipe without causing a flood today and removed the second ray and placed him into the 50g. They are both now safely transferred into their new home. I have tried feeding them black worms but they don't seem too interested yet. I guess they are still too young. I have read that it takes them a few days before they start eating. They are swimming around and are active so they should be okay.

I have seen them trying to cover up with gravel in the big tank the same day they were born, as well as suction cupping themselves to the walls. It's like they were born programmed to know how to act as if they were little adults - quite the survival instinct. Rays are so cool!

JMorash

Congratulations! I'm hoping some of my rays will pair up and have babies!

Post pictures when you get a chance.

Jmorash

carcrazy

Here is a picture of my new rays at about 3 weeks of age. They have a defect in the front of their disk but they are healthy otherwise. At least they aren't as radical as batman rays. They are just starting to eat mysis shrimp mixed in with their black worms. I wish I was better at taking pictures, this one is quite bad. I think I need a lot more practice!

Attachments

• Pictures of Aquarium 010.jpg
    Pictures of Aquarium 010.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 620