NAN lighting

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
My understanding is that it is totally closed/sealed flourescent lighting which is submerged in the tank. I have seen it used here in Europe and it is REALLY cool! Problem in Canada is that every consumer electronic device put on sale has to pass CSA testing; the testing costs are paid by the manufacturers distributors of a product. The "big" guys in Canada (think Big Als, Hagen Eheim, etc.) can not be bothered to pay for the testing since we are such a small market and they might not get their investment back! Thus, for now we are out of luck. I am seriously thinking of bringing in my own NAN lighting from S'pore, but if I choose to use it my fire insurance could be null and void due to the product being non-CSA approved! That is the problem... :rolleyes:

As for the benefits of using NAN lighting for Asian arowana, I think we could use some one's thoughtful response! lol

protoxeno

To my understanding, NAN lightings are mostly just used for viewing pleasure specially for red aros to enhance the colour as NAN lights are mostly deep pink. Unfortunately illegal in Canada.

CHILLI RED

My understanding is that it is totally closed/sealed flourescent lighting which is submerged in the tank. I have seen it used here in Europe and it is REALLY cool! Problem in Canada is that every consumer electronic device put on sale has to pass CSA testing; the testing costs are paid by the manufacturers distributors of a product. The "big" guys in Canada (think Big Als, Hagen Eheim, etc.) can not be bothered to pay for the testing since we are such a small market and they might not get their investment back! Thus, for now we are out of luck. I am seriously thinking of bringing in my own NAN lighting from S'pore, but if I choose to use it my fire insurance could be null and void due to the product being non-CSA approved! That is the problem... :rolleyes:

As for the benefits of using NAN lighting for Asian arowana, I think we could use some one's thoughtful response! lol
This is why they are illegal for use in Canada.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
can we buy them from asia and still use them without getting in any sort of trouble?

If you went through the trouble to get them yourself, there should be no problem. Of course your fire insurance could be void if anything happened.

If anyone in Canada were to sell you a set, they'd be breaking the law by selling a non-CSA approved electrical device.

The above is my understanding of the legality surrounding the issue and I could be wrong so you might want to consult a lawyer first! (lol have to cover my ass in case you act on my advice, buy a set of NAN lights, burn your house down, and then sue me because I told you that you could do it! lol :D)

protoxeno

How to buy them from asia other than travelling there?

Ummm I believe any LFS in Asia should have them. But not sure how you get it cross customs. Well..there are ways but if they investigate you might get a big fat fine. Like when my relative put some of those chinese beef jerky in my bag without me knowing and the custom guy asked...well i said no so I got a $200 bucks fine.........

Louis787

Hi,

Ive actually seen NAN lights in person when I was in Singapore this past year, and basically they are just for show. Since most of arowana's scales are facing the side, sometimes having normal fluorescent canopy at the top doesnt help bring out the complete shine of the arowana. Having nan lights submerged at the side of the tank will help bring out the colour of the scales.

They are not bright enough for tanning or crossing purposes. Also, there has been a lot of debate in the last few years of whether or not these lights pose a risk of drop eye because it creates another object for the arowana to look down at.

However I find no evidence to support this and therefore declared it a myth.

For what its used for, id say its not worth importing.

Cheers!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I'll try and get a photo of a large 300 gallon African cichlid tank set up here in Denmark at my kids community swimming pool; the aquarium there uses submerged lights. The flourescent lights used here are more like "pot lights", in that they provide a cone of light directly down into the water. The effect provided by about 10 of them across the surface of a 10 foot long tank is very attractive; I'd guess they would work very well with a ST/birchir combo, though an Asian aro swimming in and out of the light shafts would look cool too...

xbackgolden

Ummm I believe any LFS in Asia should have them. But not sure how you get it cross customs. Well..there are ways but if they investigate you might get a big fat fine. Like when my relative put some of those chinese beef jerky in my bag without me knowing and the custom guy asked...well i said no so I got a $200 bucks fine.........

I think you can contact a shop or the distributor in Singapore and bulk order if you are not able to find the Japanese manufacturer.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
If anyone ever decides to buy ANY electrical products from Asia REMEMBER that they use 220 Volt over there while we use 110 Volt in Canada! This means you will have to buy a power converter in Canada to use with any elwectrical products bought in Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. This would also apply to NAN lights.

Years ago I stocked up on heaters and air pumps in Hong Kong since the prices were amazing. Then I had to deal with the hassle of the converter in Canada. The final straw came when I accidentally plugged in a 110 Volt filter into the 220 Volt converter after a water change...woke up that night to the house filled with smoke! Almost started a serious fire! Needless to say, I have no plans to use converters again! :eek:

protoxeno

If anyone ever decides to buy ANY electrical products from Asia REMEMBER that they use 220 Volt over there while we use 110 Volt in Canada! This means you will have to buy a power converter in Canada to use with any elwectrical products bought in Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. This would also apply to NAN lights.

Years ago I stocked up on heaters and air pumps in Hong Kong since the prices were amazing. Then I had to deal with the hassle of the converter in Canada. The final straw came when I accidentally plugged in a 110 Volt filter into the 220 Volt converter after a water change...woke up that night to the house filled with smoke! Almost started a serious fire! Needless to say, I have no plans to use converters again! :eek:

Yeah back then when I visited China when I was 10 I bought back my super nintendo to show off.....but didn't know about the converter thing so the transformer blew up and lotsa smoke . haha pretty funny though