New Tank and sump ideas

DragonD

So What I have planned is 2 side by side 230 gal tanks. Each with 1 overflow going into 1 sump. My issues are how big should this sump be and what should I fill it with.

After getting ripped off by a guy claiming to make custom sumps and me ripping off mikes sump idea ( Thanks Mike) I have decided screw it im doing something else.

I have attached a drawing of some simple ideas. Please toss me some ideas. Also They are not to any scale so feel free to mock me as I do this kind of work for a living.

Thanks everyone

View attachment 20120221150907096.pdf

exoticaquaria

for sump, bigger is always better. you can hold more media and water volume. the biggest you can fit under your tanks would be great. simple is always good. simple works!

fill your sump with bacteria house media and k1. ive been running mine for a few months now and its been great. keeps the water clean and the fish seems to be very healthy. i would also add some thick sponge before your pumps to filter out any smaller debris. i rinse the sponge compartment every month. basically use it to polish the water before entering back into the tank.

chen88

Super Moderator
Hey mike, noticed you don't put in any filter floss in your amp...any reasons? I have the filter floss as the media the water hits when coming out of my sump.

DragonD

I will be using filter socks on the intake.

Has anyone here ever ran 2 tanks off 1 sump? I understand its only going to turn over as much water as what is displaced from the overflows so is there downside to how im thinking about doing this?

Hey mike, noticed you don't put in any filter floss in your amp...any reasons? I have the filter floss as the media the water hits when coming out of my sump.

exoticaquaria

1st media chamber on top of the bacteria house media, i use sponge there that i rinse out every week or 2. cheaper to use this than floss and replace the sponge every year.