NLS Pellets and water quality.......

hustler

So my big loaches and rays have taken to the NLS pellets pretty well now. I feed less than they eat so i know its not blowing around the bottom of the tank....
Im not overfeeding them and I have alot of fish that are now on them so they are still searching long after i have fed them.
Now when i clean out the foam and floss in my sump the dirt comes out reddish brown and there is ALOT of it.....
Is this normal?
Seems like the floss dirtys up twice as fast as with prawns and worms compared to the NLS.
Anyone have any similar experiences with them?

Joey

Yes, i had the same issue... that and the fact that it made my tank and entire room its in, smell like strong garlic.

I was feeding NLS mega fish... their new formula.. fish didnt like it all that much, so i just stopped feeding it...

Im back to carnivore and and massivore now.

Too bad though, cause a 4lb bucket of that stuff was only $90. less than half the price of the equal ammount of massivore.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
That's what I don't like about all pellets. The fine particulates from the fish grinding up the pellets. The garlic smell I can handle. ;)

hustler

Ill second loving the garlic smell lol..... Im Ukranian.... There is garlic in my cheeseburgers
But really.....
How do i get around this? Buy every type and size test them each till i find one that wont clog everything up?
Any chance you guys can list what IS working for you now? :) pretty please

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I run an xp3 and an xp4 for mechanical filtration. I also need to clean the bottom of the sump regularly as well.

skynoch

All the pellets I've tried will clog your filters up twice as quick compared to prawns and other frozen foods. I only feed pellets sparingly.

Joey

All around best food i have used is Hikari... i only tryed NLS for the price. Hikari carnivore and massivore dont have an over whelming smell, or make a mess of the tank..

shrimp and fish fillet, or foods like it are a good clean food, they simply dont match up to a good pellet by any means. Although i feed about 50/50... one day shrimp or tilapia, the next day pellets....

RDFISHGUY

I feed NLS. I just change or rinse the floss every 3-4 days. Can't get massivore or carnivore in Red Deer so why bother. IMO NLS is a superior food and the rewards outweigh the work. I found it was just as messy feeding fish and shrimp as it was feeding NLS.

At the end of the day you have to do what you think is best for your fish and your lifestyle. What works for some doesn't work for others. I found Hikari food sticks made a mess when I fed them to my SR. My aros are both on SW gutloaded with NLS flakes, carrots and vitamin injections . BD and plecos eat 3mm and wafers. Gouramis eat large floating. Small male hybrid eats 1mm and 3mm pellets. Female hybrid ray eats worms. Requirements are different for everyone.

The smell has never been an issue for me???? What formula?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
The 1mm cichlid formula and the grow formula, Ryan. When I was feeding 5 breeding tropheus colonies and a few tanks of their fry, my house absolutely reeked of garlic, lol.

I never did use carbon though, so if someone is using carbon and NLS but not experiencing the smell, the carbon might be the reason.

RDFISHGUY

Interesting. I think any food that is full of protein (krill esp ) like NLS has to have an odour. Garlic though? Never experienced this. I feed it in all my tanks. Does my house stink? Surely my wife would be the first to let me know. My sniffer might be toast from smoking but I'm sure hers is fine.
I tried freeze dried krill before and that reeks. NLS has a slight odor but it shouldn't make your house reek if you are feeding it properly. At least mine never has. I'm certainly not calling anyone a liar its just that I've never experienced it. My tanks have an earthy smell that's it.

kkaamm

I have been feeding all my fish (over 30 tanks of Africans, plecos, loaches, flower horn...........)with all kinds of NLS food including Grow, 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, H2O Wafers for many years and I never have a problem with my water quality. Feeding your fish with NLS will not turn your water quality bad, it may make your water turn slightly brown in colour but it will not affect the water clarity. No bad smell too, to me.

I have been supplying NLS food to fellow hobblists for some time too as I can get good prices from my supplier. Sample price is 1 pail 2270g of 1mm/2mm/3mm regular is $65.00/pail. 1 pail of 2270g Thera A 1mm/2mm/3mm is $70.00/pail