P.A.

CHILLI RED

My aro has P.A. for several days now. I bumped up the temp from 80 to 85 and added salt. I also stopped feeding for 2 days. It still looks the same. Should I still starve it longer or start feeding it again. I feed it Hikari sticks and m.p. usually. Recently I have fed it some worms and I think it developed the P.A. after eating those worms.:(

Yuppa

Super Moderator
normal earthworms? my friends rtg got P A after earthworms..

your doing the right thing, I'd say starve it for a full week then return it to pellets and prawn..

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I saw a lot of PA on fish at a certain farm in Indonesia; this same farm fed their fish heavily on meal worms (not king worm). Ever since I have wondered whether there is a connection.

EKen

Super Moderator
My Chilli used to sometimes develop PA from eating too much superworms. I believe aros can develop PA with food that are harder for them to digest. Starve him a few more days, and when feeding him, feed a bit less. If he takes "softer" food, of less dry, like market shrimps, feed him that instead until the PA goes away.

Marius

for the last week or 2, I was feeding quite heavily with earthworms- then this happened:(

Sorry for your bad experience, but this has to be documented. Can you provide me with some pictures? I'll try to gather some more material on this and see if it's a food related pattern.

carcrazy

I have been feeding my aro only sw and I haven't seen this. I don't feed as heavily as others (5 or 6 worms a day for my 12" aro) but that's all he seems to want. My temp is lower than others as well (82F) so maybe his metabolism isn't as high either.

Maybe your sw are larger (bigger head) than mine, which are about an inch to an inch and a half long.

CHILLI RED

after 4 days of starving my aro I have not seen any improvement at all. I fed it a few Hikari sticks this morning. He was very hungry! I hope this problem fades away. If it is still there this weekend when I am not working then I will post pics of it.

Kenta

Administrator
Hope your aro recovers from the PA, if it is connected to a certain food i will stay away from it!

EKen

Super Moderator
is this p.a. a common thing to happen and will it always go away with time?

Yes it does go away with time. But it can also come back. I did not hear much about an aro dying from PA, and mine recovered pretty quickly.

Any update? Where did you get the earthworms, I hope not from the backyard...

Last edited:

CHILLI RED

I checked my aro and noticed it is starting to recover. The protrusion was swollen and red. Now it is starting to recede and it is pink in color. I think it will continue to get better now. I am very happy to see this! The earthworms I got were from a fishing store for bait. I had just rinsed off the outside of the worm without getting the dirt inside of it out. I think that perhaps this helped to cause the p.a. I also had been feeding it very heavily- as much as it would take. I will now back off a bit and feed it less.:)