Pellet training on Arrows

rudy

Well I am back into Arrows again officially yesterday (thanks Theo) I got an Ultimate BBXB yesterday. Problem is I travel a lot these days so my direction with fish has been auto feeders while I am gone which means pellets. Theo has this fish eating pellets however has had some shrimp in there too. If I feed the arrow shrimp do I run the risk of stopping him eat pellets. Wondering if I should starve this fish until it is eating a ton of pellets before introducing other foods. Thoughts?

chen88

Super Moderator
I don't think feeding them a mix diet will do harm in terms of them selecting one or the other. I stick to Massivore 90% of the time due to my busy schedule...but have no issues giving them a few bags of MP's or worms.

Pics????/

mitchb

When I got my dreamfish he came readily accepting pellets.

When I had my silver it started to take pellets, but once I added some shrimp it stopped taking pellets.

Personally, if you have the fish accepting pellets I would keep him on a pellet only routine until you know it is taking pellets all the time, then add another couple months of pellet only.

chen88

Super Moderator
When I got my dreamfish he came readily accepting pellets.

When I had my silver it started to take pellets, but once I added some shrimp it stopped taking pellets.

Personally, if you have the fish accepting pellets I would keep him on a pellet only routine until you know it is taking pellets all the time, then add another couple months of pellet only.

Agreed....mix feeding only when you feel your aro's are hooked on pellets..and feed other food like MP's as more of a treat.

rudy

Here is my only half decent pic since it went in my tank. Will get some patients and try again tonight. Thing has unreal shine however all the way up the side. I am loving this fish.

Attachments

• Dream.JPG
    Dream.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 429

exoticaquaria

Welcome back to Aro keeping! I feed my aro 80% pellets and the rest frozen smelt or prawn. Mix is good at the young stage so he doesn't just get use to 1 type. However, I know a friend that feeds just pellets and his arowana is fine.

Last edited:

rudy

So I thought I was still struggling with this fish not eating pellets. I have tried Hikari food sticks and those were not working. I then even went out and bought NLS floating thinking that may work and no dice.

I then sat there this morning while the auto feeder for the lungs went off and the massive dropped into the tank. Guess who swoops in and gobbles them up… He has been full from massive hence not eating the floating he has been eating from the auto feeder. Lol

Any issues with an arrow eating sinking pellets? I read somewhere it can cause drop eye.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
That sounds like good news to me Tim. I bet you will be able to play around with different pellets as the fish grows. I know there is a larger size Hikari Arostick available for when your fish starts to put on size. It looks great in the photo by the way. :)

rudy

Promise to get some pics later but I am sooo happy with this fish. Smashing pellets (all kinds) like they are super worms. I feel great things will be happening with this arrow!

Ansieh

good job getting the fish on pellets. Mine loves frozen shrimp and wouldn't eat any pellet at all. always chews it and puke it out. I tried the starving technique but then he started biting my discus...

xenon240

here are my tips for getting AROs trained on pellets:
- best not to have other tank mates that will eat the pellets
- give only 1-2 pellets, each day, continue for up to two weeks, feeding at the same time each day
- if it spits out the pellets do not put more in. The idea is to get him to take it or he gets nothing.
- when it starts to take 1-2 pellets increase the amount.

IMO you could feed AROs exclusively on pellets, my Merlion Goldhead has been only on pellets and has grown quite quickly.

Attachments

• P1030320.JPG
    P1030320.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 425
  • P1030321.JPG
    P1030321.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 379
  • P1030322.JPG
    P1030322.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 379
  • P1030324.JPG
    P1030324.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 392

Kyuss

- give only 1-2 pellets, each day, continue for up to two weeks, feeding at the same time each day
- if it spits out the pellets do not put more in. The idea is to get him to take it or he gets nothing.

IMO you could feed AROs exclusively on pellets, my Merlion Goldhead has been only on pellets and has grown quite quickly.

Great advice.....and remember to have patience....as tough as it is watching them not eat the pellets....stay the course....ps that merlion is a beauty....

JayP

I have my 9 inch Black Arowana on Hikari Floating Pellets I bought from MIKE :) Thanks again Man !

Ansieh

When I tried to pellet train my dreamfish aro there were discus that will eat the pellets, however they're scared of the aro so wouldn't get close to the pellets if the aro is near. Everything else has been consistent, tried for almost 2 months didn't work

Diablored

My dreamfish aro will take a food stick than a live cricket than a nls pellet. I am lucky he is not very picky at all. Plus he loves to screw the silver dollars around anyway possible, which includes eating their food.

wing

Nice Aro Pics. Bro

Ansieh

My dreamfish aro will take a food stick than a live cricket than a nls pellet. I am lucky he is not very picky at all. Plus he loves to screw the silver dollars around anyway possible, which includes eating their food.

does your dreamfish start accepting food stick right in the beginning? I started training mine 2 months after I got the fish. Maybe mine was too picky.