Pleco ID

arl

Bought these 3 guys about 3 weeks ago under the name L95 orange cheek pleco. Posted it in another forum and was told that's it's L152. Anybody knows what are these guys? Size is about 4".

Picture377.jpg

Last edited:

arl

Hard to tell.

Have you tried planetcatfish for ID help?

I posted on several forums including plecofanatics but didn't get any replies yet. I'll register in planetcatfish and post there. Are they generally not distinguishable from each other when small (5" under)? Or is there any physical characteristic I should be looking at to tell them apart?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Size definitely prevents a good ID. The fact you're getting no responses also tells that it's not so obvious.

arl

I posted in planetcatfish and MatsP confirmed that it's about 95% L95. Although he admits that he's not an expert in these species but him being a moderator guaranties me that it is a very educated guess. I'm kinda relieved :).

arl

One forumer from planetcatfish, who has first hand experience on L152, is now contradicting MatsP's ID. He's saying that he got L152 that looks like my plecs (dark in color and no orange) and says that small L95 should look almost thesame as an adult L95 lighter shade, orange tail/cheek and more pronounced spots. So I guess I am back to :confused: :confused: again. Any input on L152 and/or L95 would really be nice?

jackson

Ok I see a L-137 blue eye red fin. I also see what looks like 3x L-095/L-152.

Now this means you cant tell until the fish is much larger. All this crap that juvie L-095's look like adult L-95's is well just bull crap. Most young/small L-095 look like small/young L-152. Only time will tell.

Did you buy these from Spencer Jack? if so I am leaning towards L-152 just because of what he told me. I was looking to buy a few as well.

Oh I have to add this. If you paid the price I am thinking you got a great deal regardless of them being L-095 or L-152. They are both not cheap plec's. Both grow to a very nice size and they are both good looking fish. You should not have ill thought towards your buy it was a good one :)

Last edited:

arl

Ok I see a L-137 blue eye red fin. I also see what looks like 3x L-095/L-152.

Now this means you cant tell until the fish is much larger. All this crap that juvie L-095's look like adult L-95's is well just bull crap. Most young/small L-095 look like small/young L-152. Only time will tell.

Did you buy these from Spencer Jack? if so I am leaning towards L-152 just because of what he told me. I was looking to buy a few as well.

Oh I have to add this. If you paid the price I am thinking you got a great deal regardless of them being L-095 or L-152. They are both not cheap plec's. Both grow to a very nice size and they are both good looking fish. You should not have ill thought towards your buy it was a good one :)

Thanks for the info Jackson. Yeah I got them from Spencer and yes price wise, it is a good deal regardles it is L152 or L95 but I just prefer the color of L95. I e-mailed Spencer regarding the plecs being L152 and he said they are L95 just because he got them from Brazil and not Venezuela. Not really sure the origins of these plecs. Do you mind sharing what spencer told you that made you think they're more towards L152? You can also PM it to me.

charles

I think I did a reply on it on other forum... but anyway, they do look like L152. Even the smaller L95 I had before will show the lighter grey and some orange.

jackson

Thanks for the info Jackson. Yeah I got them from Spencer and yes price wise, it is a good deal regardles it is L152 or L95 but I just prefer the color of L95. I e-mailed Spencer regarding the plecs being L152 and he said they are L95 just because he got them from Brazil and not Venezuela. Not really sure the origins of these plecs. Do you mind sharing what spencer told you that made you think they're more towards L152? You can also PM it to me.

All he said was he is not sure if they are L-095. if he was sure then I would of bought them. He said they are too hard to tell apart when small and his suppliers were not sure. Now this is what he told us but he also knows we would not be happy getting L-152 if we are asking for L-095. Comes down to us telling him that and he said I cant say they are L-095 for sure so I passed.

I do see some dots now on yours so maybe they are L-095.

arl

I think I did a reply on it on other forum... but anyway, they do look like L152. Even the smaller L95 I had before will show the lighter grey and some orange.

Thanks for the info Charles. I am still hoping they'll miraculously turn to L95 :D

arl

All he said was he is not sure if they are L-095. if he was sure then I would of bought them. He said they are too hard to tell apart when small and his suppliers were not sure. Now this is what he told us but he also knows we would not be happy getting L-152 if we are asking for L-095. Comes down to us telling him that and he said I cant say they are L-095 for sure so I passed.

I do see some dots now on yours so maybe they are L-095.

Thanks again Jackson, When I e-mailed him last year he told me that he is going to investigate and ask his supplier but I haven't heard from him then. I guess that is what Spence found out from his supplier. Somebody gave me this pick from another forum which kinda makes me believe they can also be L95. Here:
http://www.g-hoener.de/images/06_Saugwelse/L_95_Pseudorinelepis_genibarbis_a.jpg

This L95 is dark and hardly have any spot and orange. I guess not all L95 are greyish/bluish/creamy color with orange/red cheek and tail/fins. Plecs, Like any other fish, some are not as attractive/colorful as others.:)

jackson

Thanks again Jackson, When I e-mailed him last year he told me that he is going to investigate and ask his supplier but I haven't heard from him then. I guess that is what Spence found out from his supplier. Somebody gave me this pick from another forum which kinda makes me believe they can also be L95. Here:
http://www.g-hoener.de/images/06_Saugwelse/L_95_Pseudorinelepis_genibarbis_a.jpg

This L95 is dark and hardly have any spot and orange. I guess not all L95 are greyish/bluish/creamy color with orange/red cheek and tail/fins. Plecs, Like any other fish, some are not as attractive/colorful as others.:)

I just think all the guy's saying they are for sure not L-095 are not correct they cant tell for sure. I think it is a 50/50 chance. Since they have spots and you can clearly see in the pix I think they might end up being L-095. You will no soon enough :)