UV Light Flow Rate?

exoticaquaria

whats the standard flow rate (GPH) for a uv light?

im using a coralife turbo twist 36w and have a rio 2500 going through it at 2 foot height. so 656 GPH. i was wondering if this is too fast? just want to find out the optimal contact time/ideal GPH for this unit. if its too fast i can always put a valve i suppose.

any input!?

thanks!

rudy

whats the standard flow rate (GPH) for a uv light?

im using a coralife turbo twist 36w and have a rio 2500 going through it at 2 foot height. so 656 GPH. i was wondering if this is too fast? just want to find out the optimal contact time/ideal GPH for this unit. if its too fast i can always put a valve i suppose.

any input!?

thanks!
Depending on what your wants are from the unit. If you just want to clarify water then should be fine. If you are looking for it to kill bad bacteria (which I don't think they do anyway) then yo should slow it down. On my 300 I went to an internal jbj 12 watt in my sumpand it works as good or better than the the 2 turbo twist 36 watt units I used to use on my 300.

exoticaquaria

hmm interesting. what are the other good brands out there without spending a fortune? i guess what im after is just to clarify the water which so far, this coralife is doing the job. i can notice the difference in my water clarity from just over night.

rudy

Coralifes awesome. My point with the internal is to say dont be technical about then. Just run it!

exoticaquaria

Coralifes awesome. My point with the internal is to say dont be technical about then. Just run it!

ahhhh ok lol. sounds good!

one more question, i have mine hooked up with the inflow where the wiring is and water going out at the end with the blue light. im looking at the instructions now and in the diagram, it has it the other way around. in - light side, out - wiring side.

does it make a difference which side is in and out? if it does, ill have to change the connection lol.