Water turnover

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Hello im running a blueline 100 for my 500g tank
I was given the pump im using i tought i would be powerful enough but i am not sure anymore.
i have used this calculator http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php
It tells me i get about 3.5 turnover/hour .
From what i have been reading it seems like the minimum would be 4 turnover/hour however i have also read that when using a wet/dry 3 turnover/hour is good enough.
i am a little confused at this point.
Keep in mind that my tank is pretty heavily stocked :
9- 8 to 12 inches arowanas ( I got 2 more on the way )
1- FRT 1.3kg
5- 6 to 8 inches Dats
1- 6 inches Bichir
1- 4 inches unknown catfish i was told he would get 12 inches

All these guys will grow a lot more. I want to know if i need to get a bigger pump perhaps a hammerhead gold ?

here is a few pics. of the wet/dry along with the piping.

INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APRECIATED

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 659
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 721
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 698

Joey

Turnover rate varies greatly on the stocking, type of filtration, and size of the tank.

For a wet/dry, or trickle tower system, i like to use a turn over rate of 4-6Xs the volume of the main tank. The reasoning behind this is the efficiency of this type of filter, the volume of media and the contact time needed. This is just a guideline line though.

If your filtration system is already handling the ammonia output in that tank, then you have enough. If its not, increase flow. If flow doesn't cut it, then increase media capacity and possibly the flow.

Every system is unique.

Based on your shear water volume, and filtration design, a turn over rate of 3Xs would generally be OK. BUT, your stocking levels are counter acting against your water volume.

Increase the flow to double what you have now. And you should be good for life. Also insure good circulation within the tank as well. Without that, you'll need an even higher turn over rate.

When ever possible, set your returns to have hose returns instead of hard pipe as well.

bcarlos

Joey covers the most important point-- if ammonia is at 0, and all other parameters look good, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about. The turnover on my ray pond is closer to 10X an hour, but I'm pretty confident I could half that rate and still have optimum filtration.

Considering you have 9+ aro's in there, I think Joey makes a good point to consider in tank turnover, as well. You're going to need at least one big power head in there to keep things peaceful.

skynoch

Agree with both the above. I usually try and keep my ray tanks at 10x. My 2200 is about 6x which is handling the ammonia but seems to take about an hour to clear up after feedings so I would like to up the turnover. but like Joey said it all depends on the system.

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Thank you all for the input.
It seems i do need a bigger pump.
i was thinking of going with a 1/4hp of this kindhttp://www.koifishponds.com/wave_pumps.htm
ever heard or had a pump from this cie ?

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
the crazy thing with the tank is that they all so peaceful in apart from the Pang Long red he does not even hurt or fight he just claims 3/4 of the tank without actually hurting anyone. so i have to segregate him and that suck cuz he is a great looking fish. I wish he would just be the leader of the pack not the bullie of the tank

Joey

Don't leave your entire system in the hands of one pump.

Get two pumps, each rated at half the size you need.

If one pump fails, the other can still keep the tank running until you notice the failed pump, or at least until you can replace it.

Go on vacation, or leave for a few days, and the pump fails... consider your stock gone if you only had one pump running it to begin with. If you had two, you wouldn't have that issue...

Shoot... even if you were home, and a pump failed, i know it would take me up to a week to replace it, as i have to shop online to get things like that...