what to do when power goes out?

m_class2g

Sponsor
im sure all of you guys have experienced this before. since im investing in more expensive fish, just wondering what you guys have preped for when the power goes out.

i have battery operated airpumps but are very very weak. surely does not cut it.

what else do you guys do?

anyone know where to purchase a more powerful battery operated airpump?

thanks your the input.

Last edited:

Marius

If you cannot have a backup battery to run your filters, and you're only running bubbles for the period your electricity is out, then make sure you clean your filters thoroughly before you restart them.

Anytime close to 20min and 20min+ without air, the bacteria in your filters will die, and if you don't clean the filters the ammonia spike that follows can seriously stress out your fish, and even kill them.

If you have a sump (and media is submerged) make sure to run air on the media as well, that will keep the bacteria alive.

CORVETTE

I using a computer battery back up with my air pump, it has lasted 2 hours one time so far but thats as long as i've had to use it.

h.l_nathan

I bought 2 1800w back up battery for my tank from Canadian tire. They seem to work fine. 1 1800w runs my pump for a good 6 hour. So the extra one gives you more than enough time to run out to a friends or wherever to charge.

tjieh

my building had a blackout few month ago, from 6pm till 4am, i ran to my friend's place grab the UPS but it only lasted 20mins, i've heard UPS needs to be replaced every 2-3 years, all i had was just a battery operate pump, i seriously thought all my fish is gonna die, but suprisely nothing happened, not even ammo spike.

120G with 1 aro 1 PNT 6 parrot 1 FH

arl

my building had a blackout few month ago, from 6pm till 4am, i ran to my friend's place grab the UPS but it only lasted 20mins, i've heard UPS needs to be replaced every 2-3 years, all i had was just a battery operate pump, i seriously thought all my fish is gonna die, but suprisely nothing happened, not even ammo spike.

120G with 1 aro 1 PNT 6 parrot 1 FH

SAme experience with me. I shut OFF all pumps and filter every night for about 8hrs. Sometimes I forget to turn them on and it will be with out any filter for 30 + hrs and no issues at all, no gasping for air. 6 adult aros, 2- 12+ inch aros plecos in about 550 gal. (with out the sump and filter tank)

m_class2g

Sponsor
i might still grab something simple. just for peace of mind. i dont want all the bbs in my sump to die as well when the power goes out for a while.

Boydo

I run a 8 KW Kabota back-up generator, powers the whole house too. If your thinking of buying multiple UPS it may be more cost effective to get a small generator

kookus

Hello, no idea on how to use a back up generator..... do you connect it to the fuse box? or do you just run a power bar to it

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Usually back up generators are gas. You have to pull start most, some are push button start. The size of the generator will determain what you can plug into it. I've been partial to the Honda generators thru work and they just came out with a silenced version because most generators are pretty loud.

chen88

Super Moderator
I think for the most part i hope that my battery back up pumps will out last the power outtage. I have two of them and if power goes off, I will use one until that runs out and then run the second unit and hope i can find more batteries! LOL....if power is out for days...I'd have other issues to worry about including the family and fish unfortunately have to take a back seat....let's hope no power outtage is more then 1-2 hours anyways.....mind you both my battery back up pumps are plugged in to the wall outlet and running with no batteries...LOL...better get some batteries soon!