Why do all my pictures look grainy?

mareshow

Banned
well i keep taking pictures and playing with setting and they all look the same, grainy and its driving me nuts! i got a D3000 from nikon and i'm using a F1.8 35mm lense what the heck is going on? and how do i fix it? my iso is 3200 or 1600 and yeah argh for once i'd like to take a clear picture!

Boydo

First off I'm no expert with cameras and hopefully Gerry can step in and help further. I think your problem is the high iso boost your using which can add lots of noise to pictures. If you can shoot with an iso of 1000 or less and increase you noise reduction settings you should have better luck. If you shoot with a flash an iso of 200-400 normally work good. However every camera is different. You may need to slow down your shutter speed to make up for the difference.

Keep practicing and adjusting your settings, and you'll get it.

Have a look here for some more info : http://www.aquatic-photography.com/

mareshow

Banned
hmm i'll have to try that, the only problem is the fish move too much but i'll keep trying. I upgraded my camera to a Canon T2i so i'll shoot some video now :D

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Entry level cameras cannot produce decent images with high ISO.

You don't mention what settings you're using or whether you use flash or not.

mareshow

Banned
well i upgraded today to the canon T2i and it has already produced much better pictures all i need is an over head flash and i think i'll be good to go :) i have been suggested to get the 580 but i dont know if i want to spend another $500 any ideas?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
You can look for knock offs on ebay or kijiji. They work almost as well, but most of the knockoffs will only work in manual mode. That's not a bad thing for shooting fish, not such a good thing for shooting portraits of people.

mareshow

Banned
seeing as i just bought that lense, i'm wondering if i should return it and get the 580 EXII flash or would the 430 EX II flash be enough for what i'm doing?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
If the 430 does the same thing, ie can be triggered remotely, then it will serve its purpose for shooting fish. Do not return good glass! I'll have to check the differences, just to see. :)

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
The main differences are output and flexibility. The 580 is bigger, puts out more light, is a little more adjustable and can be used to trigger wireless canon flashes. The 430 cannot be used as a master flash (to trigger other flashes), but can be used as a slave flash( be triggered remotely by the 580).

Now I'm not very familiar with Canon gear, but I think you will need a transmitter to fire either flash off camera or you will need a cable to connect the flash to your camera, so you can have the flash above the tank.

Nikon has the ability built in to fire flashes remotely. I use a transmitter, but it's not necessary.

If you find the means to trigger your flash wirelessly, and there are ways, then the 430 would do just fine for what you're doing. One way os to buy Canon's transmitter. Another is to buy radio transmitters like Pocket Wizards. Unfortunately a set of Pocket Wizards cost as much as the 580 flash, lol.

Lucky for you, you can buy knock off transmitter/receivers very similar to the Pocket Wizards for a tenth of the price. I'll go see if I can find a set and price. Basically, the transmitter goes in the camera hot shoe and the receiver attaches to your flash. A radio signal firs the flash remotely.

mareshow

Banned
wow thank you!, i'm just uploading some pictures that i took and maybe you can tell me if i need a flash or not

RDFISHGUY

I have 2 580's and a speedlite xmitter and to be honest I've taken better pictures recently without using them. You are better off learning the camera first. The flashes have almost as many settings and are almost as complicated as the camera. If only Gerry lived closer.

RDFISHGUY

What days are you here? What kind of bribes are required? I could use a lesson for sure.
Marek if we can make this work you can try the remote flashes before you invest the coin.