Arowana Substrate

BM80

Im awaiting a super red from CV Maju coming at the end of the month and just wanted to know what the best type of substrate is when keeping an arowana. I have gravel right now and i see a lot of people with bare bottom tanks and was thinking of doing the same. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Brian

bcarlos

Ive kept mine in barebottom, sand and gravel. I think SR look great on dark substrate, but its all personal preference.

chen88

Super Moderator
bringing this topic back up....just finish viewing a few websites of guys in europe with big tanks and lots of stingrays....and most of them have substrate....gets me wondering again wheather to throw in some white sand into my 450 Barebottom

mareshow

Banned
dont do it if you have your aros in the same tank, it washes out their color, go something black if you want substrate trust me i just switched from white to black

RTG

Paint the bottom of tank with black paint. This way you get black bottom that will help the color of aro and bare bottom tank thats easy to clean.

chen88

Super Moderator
Paint the bottom of tank with black paint. This way you get black bottom that will help the color of aro and bare bottom tank thats easy to clean.

My acrylic tank has black back and bottom panels.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have put about 50-60lbs of #3 river washed sand from California in my Tenecor 150. It is just enough to provide a full dusting of the whole bottom. My loaches like it, plus my aro looks nice with it as well. Part of the reason I did it was because I had heard DE could be related to aros getting a reflection off the bottom of the tank (regardless of whether it has a coloured background or not). So far no issue with scratches, but then I don't have any rays at moment. :)

I am getting ready to set up a 300 gallon glass tank. I am planning to use slate squares cut to size for the bottom. Kenta has done this and it looks great.