crossbelly

arl

Saw this another interesting thread by "gtohow". I always thought that crossbellies are genetics (not anymore!). Not only does low (bottom) lights give you the very sought after cross bellies but also gives you that desirable (atleast for me) intense yellow gold and you wouldn't have to worry so much about your x-back getting a top burn and affect his crossing. bottom line......burn it form the bottom guys!!!

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365552

Has anybody figured out where to get those NAN lights? I remember seeing a selling or group buy thread here few weeks ago.

isjah

didn't hear anything else about nan lighting, heard something about it being 220v n not csa approved so it'll be illegal? or something else i dunno, i hear tanning ur aro is not good due to the fact it gives ur fish greater chance of DE, any comments?

isjah

ok now i took time to look at all the pix, is it me or u could see over the past yrs the right eye starts to get DE n the left eye is beginning to develop DE, or is it just me?

arl

Doesn't look like this guy have DE looks like more of the camera flash making it look like DE. DE have been discussed and debated on numerous thread and everybody seems to know what causes it and how to prevent it anyway until somebody proves them wrong again??? From No substates tank, genetics, tank height, food.... tanning lights... and it just goes on and on....majority believe that being in a tank causes it that's why they put it in ponds to cure DE.....until a wild caught one with DE ???:D:D.

arl

searched some info in tanning aros and found that they use T5 lights or other lights use in plant growing. Some uses metal hilides also. So tanning lights (T5) are easiliy available in most shops here. You can get a double lamp fixture 4' long around $150 range.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I am pretty sure that the NAN lights used in S'pore can be run submersed; that is the big problem for us since as far as I know there are no CSA approved submersible aquarium lights in Canada.

The idea of just running the bulbs outside the tank is interesting. Are you going to give it a try? :)

arl

I didn't realize that NAN lights are actually submersible. They were saying that NAN light are for "lighting effects" and not for tanning now it makes sense why...because they're actaully submersible. That will be cool to have in a tank. I saw some submersible LED lights at ebay, they probably will have the same effect as the NAN lights. And I think I also saw a submersible pond lights at canadian tire at one point. I deffinitely would like a T5 light for tanning....as soon as I get some extra cash....and that wouldn't be anytime soon. Hopefully by the end of this year I already have one.

T1KARMANN

Nan Light have a deep red tint to them which is why they are best used with red aros

take it from someone who has tyred the nan light will boil your water they get very very hot its like having a 5 ft heater

if you are going to use the nan light under water i recommend you don't turn it on for longer than 2-3 hours per day