Feeding arowana

booyaki

Hey guys,

Just hoping to get some input. I've got a RTG from the Vancouver group order in the summer, it's about 9-10".

I'm a little concerned that it isn't eating very well, or the food I'm giving it isn't sufficient.

Right now it's on a diet of crickets, meal worms & red wiggler worms.

I've tried to feeding prawns, but it doesn't seem to want to eat them... i'm thinking i'm buying the wrong one.

Can anybody in vancouver recommend a place to buy prawns that their aro will want to eat?

Thanks!!

Kenta

Administrator
I buy prawn from T&T, just thaw, peel chop and feed.

As for its main diet, i wean off crickets and mealworms as soon as i get them. I find they don't provide a good enough range of nutrients, i am a firm believer of varied diet. Arowanas i keep rarely get crickets, only as a treat maybe once a year... the little guys i get are eating pellets, prawn, bloodworms and fish fillet around 1-2 weeks after arrival.

protoxeno

Yeah you can just buy shrimps from super markets, the frozen ones not the fresh ones else gonna hurt your wallet a lot.

booyaki

Is there a difference between the white shrimp and the tiger prawns?

I tried a bag of white shrimp a while back, but the aro just chews and spits it back up.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
They can be so picky sometimes.
Mine wont eat prawn or shrimp at all right now..

its fine taking superworm and cricket, mostly im giving it smelt.. loves smelt but it dirty the water fast.

Kenta

Administrator
Yeah i agree, smelt really clouds the water.

I feed my big guy whole smelt, i usually do a small water change 30 mins after a smelt feeding just to "clean" the tank a little...
When my fish were smaller i would chop up smelt and their guts got all over the place.. much cleaner feeding whole smelt...

h.l_nathan

just rent your self a speed boat and go out to barnet and remember to bring a few friends to help you pull some prawn traps. If you can pull 1 string then your aro is set for a few month. fresh from the sea not preserved thats how i feed mine. Or go down to the fishing docks down in richmond there's shrimp boat comming in everyday.

booyaki

hm... interesting... i might head down to the docks next time i'm around.

Do you buy in bulk and freeze them?

h.l_nathan

yeah... when i'm in B.C i go on the shrimp boat with them so I can choose, but I'm in Montreal now I usually ask them to pick out small prawns and send them up for me. I think that the color come's out faster than the market prawns.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I've started using Massivore pellets by Hikari and I've never seen my aro more interested in food. I originally bought it for my bichirs and catfish but they hardly have a chance to get it.

danfong88

Yes, the aro can very pick eaters..... presently my aro eats only supermeal worms. very expensive....
I would prefer if she/he ate shrimp and pellets.

h.l_nathan

i just feed mine with what ever i feel like, and if they dont eat today and tomorow then they will go for it on the 3rd or 4th day. Then it becomes a habit for them after a few days. treat them like childrens and dont spoil them you're the boss so they do as you want them to.