Grow out tanks versus single tanks?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
How many of you use(d) a grow out tank along the way when raising your Asian arowana?

According to a recent article on Asian arowana in Practical Fishkeeping they recommend a minimum tank size of 6.6' X 3.3', with a suggestion that 9' X 4.5' is better. These recommendations are for a single fish. I wonder how practical it would be to raise a 5-6 inch fingerling in such a massive tank right from the beginning? Anybody tried it?

Attachments

• practical fishkeeping article1.jpg
    practical fishkeeping article1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

carcrazy

I used a grow out tank for my RTG (50g) but not for my green (165g - 6' x 2') or my red (270g - 6' x 3'). The RTG was about 8" when I put him in my 320g (6' x 3'). The green and red had tankmates and did not appear to be shy when first put in the tank. Without tankmates it may have been a little stressful for them.

JMorash

For the smaller arowana like young panda golds (4"-5") I started them off in a 65(?) gallon tank (3' x 1.5' x 2') and then once they hit around 10" they moved into a 120 gallon (4' x 2' x 2'). My plans were too keep my fish growing up in this tank till they were about 16" and then move them into a permenant tank. Preferably 300 gallon +. Unfortunately the only arowana I kept until it reached that size jumped out of the 120 gallon at 15". The rest I sold before they reached that size.

I honestly don't thin a 9' x 4.5" tank is nessecary for an adult arowana. Especially for a single fish tank. I think a typical 8' x 3' is perfect. Just my opinion though. I'm no expert.

Jmorash

bcarlos

I've tried both. With my first silver, I plunked him right into a 220 from a juvenile. In hindsight, he was very difficult to raise-- didn't eat much, stayed in one corner of the tank, etc. With my red, he started in a 65 until his appetite was up. Once he put on some size and was socializing well, I introduced him to a 220 and he is doing phenomenal.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I honestly don't thin a 9' x 4.5" tank is nessecary for an adult arowana. Especially for a single fish tank. I think a typical 8' x 3' is perfect. Just my opinion though. I'm no expert.
Jmorash

I know in Asia a lot of apartment dwellers use 4'X2' or 5'X2' (too small after a couple years for sure), while in Canada many people (inlcuding me) seem to think that a 6'X2' is okay as a long term bare minimum. But on giving the question more thought, maybe a 6'X2.5' or 6'X3' should be a long term minimum? :confused: I agree with you that a 8'X3' would be perfect. :)

I'm no expert either, but the guys at Practical Fishkeeping do have impressive credentials so I find what they say interesting. I did a quick Google search on "fair use" of copyright magazine material and I am pretty sure it is okay for me to print this tiny piece of the PFK article relating to housing Asian arowana.

Incidentally, PKF's online website recently got badly hacked and so it is currently offline.

Attachments

• practical fishkeeping article2.jpg
    practical fishkeeping article2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I've tried both. With my first silver, I plunked him right into a 220 from a juvenile. In hindsight, he was very difficult to raise-- didn't eat much, stayed in one corner of the tank, etc. With my red, he started in a 65 until his appetite was up. Once he put on some size and was socializing well, I introduced him to a 220 and he is doing phenomenal.

Yeah, that is kind of the way my experience has gone over the years. I really prefer to use a smaller grow out tank for a bit, especially since it makes target feeding easier.

Look forward to watching your red develop. :)