Super Moderator
When I picked him up:

March 20

marblemale.jpg

May 3

IMG_2706.jpg

June 10

marble4month.jpg

The black spots are growing and the marbling is coming in pretty bold. Wonder how he'll end up

Here is the female

Feb 9
marb.jpg

April 16
darken.jpg

June 10
fem.jpg

fm.jpg

Her pattern isn't changing as much as I had hoped, but time will tell how she will turn out.

EKen

Super Moderator
The couple looks very good. That male is gonna turn out very nice. But I personally think they are a bit skinny. I like fat fishes.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Thanks guys

The couple looks very good. That male is gonna turn out very nice. But I personally think they are a bit skinny. I like fat fishes.

The female has some good shape, the male on the other does need to fatten up. He has been holding out on a new food which he finally took.

MananaP

nice looking ray you got there... too bad for me i think i got a sick one this week end... doing death curl and don't know why he does it maybe stressed but eats like a pig..i really don't know if his sick or what not... don't know what to do with him... tsk tsk...

MananaP

it's a motoro :(... been eating well but i'm still worried it's doing some sort of death curl if i'm not mistaken.. i don't know what to doo... i just hope he can survive on me... it's been 4 days since i had him... i got him from a LFS i thought he was just stressed... and i read this book about sting rays and they said that if the ray has been stressed for some time and develope a death curl it can die in 10 days or something like that... i'm really worried,it's my first ray and the guy from the store didn't even tell me it was doing the curl and i thought it was normal because i told him to feed it and he eats well so i was like ok i will take this little guy home...homebrewed you've been keeping rays for a while right and have tons of knowledge about them,can you help me in any way? what should i do hmpd... i already fell in love with this guy and i hope(crossing fingers) he won't die on me...could he recover? he is a bit skinny but he loves bloodworms and i wont try feeding him any other source of food like shrimps until he gets better i guess... what can/should i do? :(

stephen

homebrewed

Super Moderator
What I would do is try to get him onto another type of food. Bloodworms are fine to get them eating but they are costly and hard to pack weight on the fish. I also find that it isn't great for water quality. chopped up night crawlers are good to help pack on weight and are usually readily excepted by rays.

Try and do partial water changes daily. Like 30% with very slow fills. Not to much to stress him out. Try and get the water tip top. I would also add some aquarium salt. I do about a tea spoon per 10 gallons. It has helped me perk up lathargic rays. It also helps them clean their systems out.

Motoros are a very hardy ray and as long as he's been eating and the disc isn't to curled yet you have time to get him back into shape.

Can you give any details on the conditions of the ray and its tank? Size of ray, size of tank, water params, tank mates... etc?

Good luck

Tim

MananaP

eh tim thanks for the help,i will try some bait worms as you stated to help him fatten up...i did add some salt the next day he was in the aquarium and he seemed to be getting better each day but still doing curls...the amonia level is 0 and ph level is 7.0, he is the first fish that i introduced in my new 80g tank and the tank was running for a week before i got him...the ray is about 5 1/2" disk size...no tank mates yet...

oh yah one more question should i clean the gutts when i chop up some night crawlers?thanks again tim.. can't thank you anough for a little advice...

cheers
stephen

homebrewed

Super Moderator
stephen

Squeeze the worm and run your fingers down it from front to back to clean out any extra junk thats inside of it that would just foul up water.

If the tank was just setup, I would dose it with Prime as well to nuetralize ammonia with each water change. If it was only setup for a week then you may be experiencing small ammonia spikes due to the tank cycling.

rulaifu, Thank you.
They are fatter now as well. I have been trying an all pellet died on them and its finally making them look alot better

MananaP

ah ok tim thanks...i will do that... hays wondering when my motoro eats sinking pallets hehehe...i just hope ha can survive... still doing the curl right now... hoping it gets better each day...meaning less and less curling...well if he doesn't work i will just buy some bichers for bottom tank fishes then... i'm trying to have different level's of fish in the tank/community...

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Once we get him back on track, healthy and eating steadily then try pellets :p

What kind of filter are you running on the tank? and do you have any other tanks going?

MananaP

i just started on this tank...and got no other tanks...i'm using a brand new eheim 2217...i just got home from a long days work and i'm planning to go out right now to get some night crawlers from a local gasoline station i guess they have some...

homebrewed

Super Moderator
If you have friends or family with a fish tank, I would suggest getting an established filter on the tank. The tank is relativly new so there won't be enough bacteria in the tank to help process the ammonia in the tank. A used filter will help seed the tank faster and will help out this ray alot. Even just an airpump spong filter

Also don't over feed him during this time because that will just set off little ammonia spikes which is irritate him further. As long as he is eating a little bit you know he'll get better if the water parameters are in line.

Once motoros are established they are relativly hardy.

MananaP

Doing the dead curve is their natural behavoir. Only my comments. As they are mostly wild caught, I assume yours are one of the wild caught rays as well. So I will leave him as is as lon as he is healthy and eats like normal. Nothing you can do much about it. Again, my two cents only.

is that so? i mean a pup about 5-6inch is wild cought? i thought most of the motoros from LFS are already captive bred hmpd... well if you say it is normal then i should lessen my worries...still a ray who does curls/hover etc...which i don't see on other rays on other tanks still looks sick/wierd though lols...:confused: