pleco-aro-discus tank

arl

Pic of my tank with aros I got from the last group buy and plecos from charles. 40 gallon tank with 10 discus, 2 small aro, and 2 small pleco

picture-014.jpg

picture-011.jpg

picture-019.jpg

picture-013.jpg

picture-018.jpg

Last edited:

m_class2g

Sponsor
wow ur gona need a new tank soon to grow those 2 out! both reds u got from the order? take some close up pics of the reds! nice looking discus btw!

arl

wow ur gona need a new tank soon to grow those 2 out! both reds u got from the order? take some close up pics of the reds! nice looking discus btw!

Yeah I will eventually need to set up my old 30 gal. Do you guys think they'll be OK in this setup for 3 months??:confused: ... OK 2 months? :D. These guys are still jumpy sometimes I have to get them in their happy mood then I can probably do a better pic.

Kenta

Administrator
3 months is pushing it! I'd get another tank running ASAP!

They will adjust better with more room... looks to be a little cramped, but its only temp so itll be ok.

I know what you mean about not being able to take pics while theyre still jumpy though!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger

arl

3 months is pushing it! I'd get another tank running ASAP!

They will adjust better with more room... looks to be a little cramped, but its only temp so itll be ok.

I know what you mean about not being able to take pics while theyre still jumpy though!

yea i think u gota get a bigger tank. =) that way they will grow faster too!

I'll grow them in my tank sump, about same size as my 8X4 tank, but Im not really too excited in putting them there because I wouldn't be seeing them :D. It should be good for their color developement thought since my sump is black pond liner. I'll put them there when theyre about 9" or so.

arl

Wow, cool to see the fish! If you look here

you can see a couple photos of Charles spiking your pleco and aro bags with oxygen! :)

I had to get up at 5:15 on a Saturday to ship those guys...*yawn* :D

Thanks for showing us the photo of my fishes being packed, getting them ready for their last leg :D. and that's a great packing job you did there lots of oxygen and water! Never really got the chance to thank you for sending me those aros and Charles' pleco, Cirrus, THANKS!! Thats really doing something beyond the "call of duty". And you're really doing an awesome job promoting the aquarium hobby, specially for aro keeping!!:)

EKen

Super Moderator
I don't mean to be a prick here. But I used to keep a Silver in a 30gallons, when I was 9 years old, and still dumb about fish keeping...

But I would never buy 2 expensive fish and put them in such a small tank. Imho, fish are like everything else, get prepared first... When I see, half a dozen Discus, a pleco, 2 Red Aros in a 30 gallons, with no major filtration, I just get the feeling that you didn't do your homeworks about Aro keeping...

arl

I don't mean to be a prick here. But I used to keep a Silver in a 30gallons, when I was 9 years old, and still dumb about fish keeping...

But I would never buy 2 expensive fish and put them in such a small tank. Imho, fish are like everything else, get prepared first... When I see, half a dozen Discus, a pleco, 2 Red Aros in a 30 gallons, with no major filtration, I just get the feeling that you didn't do your homeworks about Aro keeping...

Would you believe me if I tell you that I have NO FILTER MEDIA?, I change water every 2 weeks or so, but I do vacuum my gravel every 2 or 3 days (come to think about it I haven't even vacuumed my gravel for 4 days!!:eek:) and I am not even joking or exagerating any of this!!! and I feed beef heart to the discus, cut up smelt and pellets to aro and what ever is left is for the pleco. Again I repeat I AM NOT MAKING UP ANY OF THIS!!!... OH and there are 10 discus but the aros and pleco are small.

Last edited:

JMorash

My Arowana started off in a 120, and after 6 months is moving into a 300 gallon.

I know of some arowana and discus keepers that keep their fish with no filter media, just airation, but they do a 80 percent water change everyday with water that has been through an RO unit. If you aren't able to provide these kind on water changes in a big tank than you need to up your filtration with bio media.

GET A BIGGER TANK, minimum of a 100 gallon for a grow out.

Good luck,

Justin Morash

carcrazy

Would you believe me if I tell you that I have NO FILTER MEDIA?, I change water every 2 weeks or so, but I do vacuum my gravel every 2 or 3 days (come to think about it I haven't even vacuumed my gravel for 4 days!!:eek:) and I am not even joking or exagerating any of this!!! and I feed beef heart to the discus, cut up smelt and pellets to aro and what ever is left is for the pleco. Again I repeat I AM NOT MAKING UP ANY OF THIS!!!... OH and there are 10 discus but the aros and pleco are small.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I do 30% water changes every 2-3 days on my 320g and I have a 60g sump with pot scrubbers, an XP3 canister filter and 4 IV Hydrosponges. And I'm still worrying that I don't have enough (trying to get an Ultima II 1000) ... That's scarry but they look healthy. And Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

arl

:eek: :eek: :eek: I do 30% water changes every 2-3 days on my 320g and I have a 60g sump with pot scrubbers, an XP3 canister filter and 4 IV Hydrosponges. And I'm still worrying that I don't have enough (trying to get an Ultima II 1000) ... That's scarry but they look healthy. And Merry Christmas!

I am sorry I haven't described the whole setup of my 40gal. It's actually hooked up to a 700 gal fish tank with 6 adult aros. I use to do only 1 every 2 weeks WC in my big tank about 10% but now I do 1 a week since I changed my filter system in my big tank. Whatever water is in my big tank is what my 40 gal gets. So there is no full maintenance in this small tank but vacuuming it every 3 days and it just fills right up again from water in the big tank.

Last edited: