Really weird thing...

EKen

Super Moderator
I am not sure if I should put this thread here... But here it is anyway.

Since about a week and a half, my Motoro stingray refused to eat anything. I mean she was acting hungry, but didn't eat her food, only chewing a bit then spitting out everything. I had her for about 5-6 months now, and she has always been eating good.

Then yesterday, while feeding my fishes, I found a fishing hook in the tank. :eek:

It was a small hook, all rusted up and with a small fishing line still attached to it, small enough to fit in my Stingray mouth. Do you guys think my Motoro just spitted out the hook? I mean, it sounds weird because I had her for about half a year already...

T1KARMANN

you have to hope the ray didnt crap the hook out as it chould have done some real damage to the ray internaly

4-5 months is a long time for the hook to be inside the ray

if the ray starts eatting again soon you maybe ok

this is one of the reasons i will NEVER buy a wild caught ray again

captive bred rays feed better breed faster and do alot better in general in tanks + no hooks

FOSSILFISH

I am not sure if I should put this thread here... But here it is anyway.

Since about a week and a half, my Motoro stingray refused to eat anything. I mean she was acting hungry, but didn't eat her food, only chewing a bit then spitting out everything. I had her for about 5-6 months now, and she has always been eating good.

Then yesterday, while feeding my fishes, I found a fishing hook in the tank. :eek:

It was a small hook, all rusted up and with a small fishing line still attached to it, small enough to fit in my Stingray mouth. Do you guys think my Motoro just spitted out the hook? I mean, it sounds weird because I had her for about half a year already...

Hope all is well with your motoro now.
I guess you can say that she is very lucky. Alot of people that keep stingrays encounter the same problems. For some, the stingray stops eating and suffers a slow death. The cause is usually a fish hook in the stomach that ends up puncturing or damaging the internal organs of the ray.
Most of the stingrays being sold in our areas were all caught with hook and line. Sting rays cannot be caught by a fish net because they swim on the river floor. If you own a stingray and have watched your ray feed, you will notice that they eat just like most catfish. They tend to suck in their food with a strong sucking motion. By feeding in this manner they tend to almost swollow their food whole and they chew after. If there is a fish hook in the middle of the bait, it will be almost impossible to remove the hook from inside the rays mouth without killing it. In South America where most of the rays are from, they are feared and considered nuisance. Be it a Motoro's or Leopoldi, it doesn't matter. When they are caught by most fisherman in the area they simply cut the line and let them go. Only to be caught again a few weeks later to be sold here at our LFS.
The only way of knowing if the ray has ingested a fish hook is by x-ray. But what LFS supplier does that?
As for us, the hobbyist, were stuck at playing the "LUCK of the DRAW " game when purchasing rays for our collection.
All we can do is know who your buying from. It may be worth to pay a little more for that captive bred than the wild caught.
Most will tell you to wait a few weeks after the new stock of rays arrive at the LFS before taking home the ray. But as we see with Ekens experience it can take months and years before any symptoms come up and when it does, sometimes it is too late.;)

T1KARMANN

motoro are very very easy to breed with large amouts of pups from each batch up to 16 pups just buy captive bred rays then you wont have this problem at all

captive bred rays are cheaper than wild caught hear in the UK as they are bred buy hobbists who can sell them

shop price for wild motoro hear £120-140
captive bred from a hobbist £70-100

if you think about all the rays that have been sold in the past then their should be millions of motoro pups being born every week

Last edited:

T1KARMANN

it makes you think how many rays have died in captivaty

the amount of motoro imported over the years their should be more motoro pups than we know what to do with

up until 6yrs ago even leopoldi were cheap i brought a leopoldi pup from a importer 5yrs ago for £125 now you would be looking at £1200 yet again were have all the adults gone

all motoro like is food and sex and chan breed at a young age 10inch disk i have seen them breed at

their really is no reason to buy wild caught rays anymore

EKen

Super Moderator
it makes you think how many rays have died in captivaty

the amount of motoro imported over the years their should be more motoro pups than we know what to do with

up until 6yrs ago even leopoldi were cheap i brought a leopoldi pup from a importer 5yrs ago for £125 now you would be looking at £1200 yet again were have all the adults gone

all motoro like is food and sex and chan breed at a young age 10inch disk i have seen them breed at

their really is no reason to buy wild caught rays anymore

Most LFS aorund here sell WC stingrays. I have yet to see an LFS that sell CB around here... So for the hobbyists who really want a ray, it's pretty hard to not buy a WC.

My Motoro still did not eat yet, hope everything's gonna go back to normal soon. Here the hook in question:

Attachments

• hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 468

T1KARMANN

i hope you ray is ok

but you see my point look how long motoro have been imported to all countrys

even in canada you should be pumping out loads of captive bred motoro pups

were have all the adults gone that were imported over the years

rays can live for 10yrs+ and can breed at 2yrs

homebrewed

Super Moderator
My friend had the exact same experience with his leopoldi about 7 years ago. Stopped eatting, within a few days, sure enough a hook. Took a few days but it did start eating again and was fine.

T1KARMANN, captive motoros have just started coming around here and are usually twice the price of a WC. At least around Winnipeg. At the same time until about 5 years ago, no one was bringing in any rays here.

T1KARMANN

motoro are not in as much demand as say leopoldi or other black rays

large motoro are near impossable to sell you are lucky if you can give them away hear

people just what the black rays as their have found if you are going to feed and take care of a ray and breed them then you may aswell get good money back for the pups

we have a free adds web site where people can advertise their fish for sale for free and captive bred motoro are always up for sale along with other hard to find fish

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_21627.php

T1KARMANN

its real easy to breed motoro all you need to do is give them good food good water for 1.5yrs if you get the rays at 6inch disk

you also need a pair of course :D

the only problem you get with motoro is the male will beat up a female real bad if she is not ready to breed so its best to get say a 8inch female and a 6inch male

a much bigger female always works then the male cant beat her up so bad