tank lids

Juice604

i was just curious what all the aro keepers use to weigh down the glass tops , in order to prevent the unthinkable ??

right now i am using 2 heavy rocks that cover all 3 of the lids ?

i am looking for ideas as the rocks are not very appealing to look at !!:rolleyes:

thanks

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I'd recommend you make or buy a nice heavy wood canopy, paint it or stain it to your taste. Then the fish can never actually jump out. Very easy to get a design to use by looking at tank set ups for sale in shops, then make your own; or buy one ready made.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I agree
Heavy objects dont keep aros from jumping thru and breaking the lids. Also if it does break thru you could have the rock fall into your tank and break the bottom plate

rudy

I have large zip lock sand bags on top of my glass top. It works well as the sand will absorb the hit and does not break the glass like a rock would. Learned from glen and knock on wood this is the first arrow I have not lost due to this reason

Juice604

I'd recommend you make or buy a nice heavy wood canopy, paint it or stain it to your taste. Then the fish can never actually jump out. Very easy to get a design to use by looking at tank set ups for sale in shops, then make your own; or buy one ready made.

ya this is a good idea for sure ..

Boydo

I have large zip lock sand bags on top of my glass top. It works well as the sand will absorb the hit and does not break the glass like a rock would. Learned from glen and knock on wood this is the first arrow I have not lost due to this reason

This works great!

My wife made me black canvas bags filled with sand about 6x4" - dozens of them. They work really good and do absorb impacts which will prevent the glass from breaking.

peacockbass

i had glass tops cut for me by a glass company....4mm tempered glass made to fit my 180 and 90...just big enough so that filter pipes could still fit through when they were laid on top.....

Juice604

This works great!

My wife made me black canvas bags filled with sand about 6x4" - dozens of them. They work really good and do absorb impacts which will prevent the glass from breaking.

i do like this method as well , but as far as cosmetic looking not so much , since my 210 is the center piece of the loving room ..

definitely better than the rocks i am using now tho ..lol :cool: