A Shipment to Toronto, Canada, 2nd February 2015

DFI

Dear all,
In preparation for an impending shipment to Toronto, Canada next week (2nd February, 2015), we thought we would like to share with you guys, some photos of the fishes to be ship there, a sort of a 'Preview'. A Canadian hobbyists who is starting a comm tank of 10 Shelook Reds and a Golden Head Xback, had teamed up with his local fish importer. So together, they made up a shipment of 25 Shelook Reds and 1 Xback.

The Canadian CITES in Ottawa would normally take about 6 weeks to process and approve a CITES import permit in Canada. This, in contrast with the rest of the World, is indeed very long and tedious when Hong Kong takes only about 3 days and Japan, 5-7 days to approve a CITES import permit. And to make matters worst, more time is needed to courier the Permit from Ottawa to the applicant's desired address and this takes up even more time.

The Shelook Reds are about 11-13 inches, all kept in white fibregrasses previously. Now, they have been shifted to black tanks for about a week, well conditioned for the long journey of more than 30 hours to reach Toronto, Canada. We hereby wish them a Bon Voyage!

Many thanks for reading.

Mrs Goh

SC_8451.jpg

A very high bodied Spoon Head Shelook Red with a perfect scissors bite mouth. Colour is up till the 6th row, too.

SC_8458.jpg

A Shelook Red doing the usual strectching exercise before the long journey.

SC_8461.jpg

A Shelook Red with a well balanced Body shape and colour up to its back. Rim colour is developing but not captured by this photographer.

SC_8487.jpg

The most stout looking Spoon Head of the Shelook Reds ...Simply Majestic!

SC_8299.jpg

Top view of the 24K Gold Golden Head, 80-90% GH.

SC_8301.jpg

Side view of the Spoon Head 24K Gold Xback with full pearlies.

MG_3726.jpg

A total of 9 cartons are standing by to be filled up with fishes on Monday 2nd Feb, but arriving Tuesday, 3rd Feb in Canada. The red coloured Shelook certs are obvious in each box.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Good luck with the shipment Mrs. Goh! I agree that Canadian CITES takes a long time compared to other countries. I visited the Shelookred distributor in Jakarta many years ago. Nice to see some of their fish coming to Canada.

DFI

Hi, Cirrus!

Hi Cirrus
Long time no see, it was nice meeting up with you while we were in Vancouver last year!

Yes, for every Canadian shipment, it felt to us like we were holding hot potatoes - let me explain. All these Reds were pre-tagged by the respective Indonesian farms. And for the Canadian CITES to take so long to issue an Import permit, what if anyone of the tagged fish has fallen sick or worse, died while waiting for the Import permit to be issued?

In such a case, we cannot make a last minute change of fish as the new fish tag number did not appear in the Export nor Import Permit, and thus, cannot be exported! But we always play safe by applying for one extra spare fish - and keeping our fingers crossed! Like for this forthcoming shipment of 25 Reds, we had in fact applied for 26 tag numbers ...

Since fishes are like us humans, susceptible to unforeseen illnesses and deaths, there is no telling what would happen to the fishes while the Canadian CITES office takes so long to issue an Import permit ...agree? Hence, its not exaggerating if I were to say that we were living in constant fear whenever a Canadian export involves Indonesian Reds!

Lastly, if we were exporting DFI bred xbacks, then there is no worry as we only tag the fishes to be exported, two days before the actual export date. In this way, we would be able to ensure 100% perfection for our Xbacks.

Let's hope the Canadian CITES office would be able to work faster, more in tune with the rest of the World's CITES offices.

Mrs Goh

Good luck with the shipment Mrs. Goh! I agree that Canadian CITES takes a long time compared to other countries. I visited the Shelookred distributor in Jakarta many years ago. Nice to see some of their fish coming to Canada.