ARO AND RAYS

CHILLI RED

I AM LOOKING INTO GETTING A PAIR OF RAYS SOON. I HAVE AN 18-20" SUPER-RED ARO ALREADY. IF THE RAYS WERE PUPS DO YOU THINK THE ARO WILL KILL THEM? I WAS GOING TO WAIT FOR A WHILE AND SELL THE ARO THEN GET THE RAYS. I AM NOW THINKING I MIGHT KEEP THE ARO AS IT IS TURNING VERY RED COLOUR. I AM AFRAID THOUGH OF THE RAYS BEING KILLED BY MY ARO. WHAT TO DO????:confused:

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I have a younger chilli with a motoro stingray, and the chilli doesn't even pay attention to the ray. I have a 20" RTG with a pair of motoros and the RTG does not even see them for the most part. I think if the pups are big enough, as in 5"+, you won't have anything to worry about.

carcrazy

I've never had any problems with my RTG and the stingray pups that were born. When I put in my first two rays, they were about 6" (m) and 8" (f). They never bothered each other at all. I think you should have no worries.

My large walking catfish died today after me adding a new ray a couple of days ago, though. He either ate a bad piece of shrimp or he got stung by the new ray. It's too bad, the catfish was 14" long. Normally, rays are peaceful with anything that they can't eat.

Last edited:

homebrewed

Super Moderator
He either ate a bad piece of shrimp or he got stung by the new ray. It's too bad, the catfish was 14" long. Normally, rays are peaceful with anything that they can't eat.

How does the barb look on the new ray? Normally the venom membrane is rubbed off when it goes into something.

carcrazy

It looks like the tip of the stinger is broken off of my new ray as the end looks blunt. All my other rays have sharp (very sharp) stingers. I think it is quite possible that the catfish bothered the new stingray and got stung. The new marbled motoro is okay and settling in, though the male has tried to mate with her already (she's 8", he's 12"). Hopefully, she doesn't get too bitten up.

I think aros would be safer than catfish as they normally stay near the top and rays stay on the bottom or stuck to the sides. My RTG did die of mysterious causes in this tank as well but I think the pbass may have hit her instead.

T1KARMANN

this all depends if the aro has been kept with tank mates all its life

if the aro has been in the tank on his own for a long time chances are it will attach the rays

if the aro has been kept with any kind of tank mate he should be fine