aro safe snail killer?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Looking to kill off a ramshorn snail infestation in my chilli red tank. I'm not interested in clown loaches. Is there a copper solution that is aro safe? Or another solution?

DaiDee

Overpopulation of snails generally indicate abundant food sources, ie. overfeeding is the most common cause. Now with predators, it's a slightly different story since they are such messy eaters it leaves plenty of leftovers for the snails. You may need to look into a better cleanup crew.

Most snail killers are copper based so I would assume in small quantities that it would be ok for your fish. They are harmful to inverts such as freshwater shrimp.

Have you considered other types of botias?

There are also 'Assasin Snails' that are a slower method of controlling a snail population as they are carnivours. Basically, they eat other types of snails aside from their own. You're probably thinking, "Why would I buy new snails to get rid of the old ones?" It's because they reproduce at a very slow rate so it would be very hard to be overcome with them plus, they look cooler than regular snails :D. Or give them away to other people that have the same problem ;).

Have you ever tried putting vegetables into a container and dumping the snails once they're all gathered on it? It may take a couple attempts but it could help.

Hope that helps!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply. I have not tried vegetables. I assume they attract the snails? I may try that. I'm trying to avoid using chemicals.

Other botias eat snails? I was under the impression only clowns ate them?

DaiDee

Most other botias will eat snails - http://www.loaches.com/
I personally don't know how well other types of botias would do with aros.

You can try a slice of zuccini, spinach, lettuce, etc. Blanch them quickly in hot water and that will help the vegetable sink. If that doesn't work, stick a fork in it and it will help keep it down.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks, Daidee. :) I'll try the veggie trick before anything else. I'll post again after I've tried it for a few days. :)

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Well, I put one piece of potato in overnight and collected a couple of hundred snails. I also had moved my female moto in the tank at about the same time, and I'm not sure if she has anything to do with it, but I'm not seeing anywhere near the amount of snails I'd seen recently. :) If they build up again, I'll do the potato thing again. It's safe and not chemical based which is what I really prefer.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I have not seen any more snails since adding the stingray to this tank. Not a single one.

Do rays eat snails?