Arrowana with Discus?

rudy

I am contemplating....very seriously of getting a small asian arrowana to live with my Aussie lungs and my discus and rainbows. Understandably the rainbows are probably going to get it at some point however was wondering about the discus. My kids and wife love the colors so having some second thoughts. What are the thoughts on living together? The discus are all 5-6 inches.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Last edited:

kimrocks

I am actually trying this out at the moment - more than a week now.

The Discus (8-10 of them) are in the tank with my first RTG and all doing fine. This RTG has a personality that is a lot milder.

I would not put them together with my other RTG as it is a lot more aggressive. It would be certain that he would tear into them and they will either die or wither away.

It really depends on the Aro's personality.

BTW - I did made sure that there are enough driftwoods in the 180 gallon tank to provide the Discus with a safe haven/shelter in case they need it - : ).

Last edited:

kimrocks

Here is what I have at the moment -

35530d1386062813-hygrophila-corymbosa-angustifolia-jungle-vals-out-my-african-tank-aro-discus-2-dec-2013.jpg.att

brianyam

depends on the aro....i did it...but honestly, not the best for discus. they are stressed. they are not suppose to be with a fish that size so close.

kimrocks

That is an awesome looking tank with the aro. What kind of sand do you have in there?

Don't really know- - they were from relatives who had gave up on the hobby sometime ago. Just grabbed the bucket loads and ran with them - : ).

Ansieh

I didn't have success with Arowana and discus mix... I started off with 7 5-6 inch discus and when i introduced my 6 inch red gold aro 4 of them got scared so bad they hid in corner and starved themselves to death. On the hind sight I think I should have gotten big discus and small arowana to start off, not small aro and small discus in the same tank.