Best setup for Wet Dry?

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I see many different wet dry setups in pictures I see. Media placement, sump, tower setup, etc.

I was just wondering what would give me optimal filtration for when I start to design one for myself. Tank dimensions should be 8'x3'x'2 (360gal). It will house 1 green aro, 4 motoro (possibly 5), and a small shoal of silver dollar sp (5).

What be the best combination of filter media (ceramic rings, bio balls, floss, etc).

Thanks

Tim :)

DragonfishExotics

I am currently working on a big filtration unit for arotanks. I'll will be using commercial filters and external pump. The cost wont be too high, plus it is easy to clean. I am installing one on my aro tank this weekend if all goes well and i'll keep you updated with pics and details.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
definatly ;)

I like the idea of trying to break down the waste with the bioballs in the overflow. Also the amount of surface area in that thing is incredible. His setup was rather clean for the way it was setup. Looked great

Last edited:

Steel Toe

Don't understand you of "over used they are big nitrate factorys". Can you kindly elaborate more on that? I'm still trying to make good of my water management knowledge. From what I know, ammonia (NH3) is highly toxic to most fishes or ammonium (NH4) which is non-toxic. When the ammonia in your aquarium is of a certain concentration, nitrosomonas bacteria will form colonies in your filter to oxidise NH3 and NH4 to nitrites (NO2) which is toxic. Nitrobacter bacteria will then oxidise the nitrites to non-toxic nitrates (NO3). Denitrification will then reduce nitrates (NO3) nitrogen (N2) or nitrous oxide (N2O) gas that will then diffused back into the atmosphere. Hehehe...Just revise from some articles.

So for me, getting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites is very vital. Not so sure about the impact of nitrates but a good water change is always the best solution.

DragonfishExotics

Myview on bio balls:

Well, they do grow beneficial nitrifying bacteria profusely! The unfortunate part is that, while bioballs excel at fostering bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite, they tend to accumulate nitrate (the "end product" of biological filtration). The bacteria are sooo efficient at breaking down the nasties that the nitrate accumulates quite rapidly. Nitrate is not harmful, in and of itself, but the level of nitrate in your tank gives you a good idea as to the overall water quality of the system.

Its also important to not let them get too dirty, they are a good place for left over food and waste to be stored. So if you decide touse them dont leave them untouched for years at a time!

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Sounds good.

In a system like the one featured of arowanaclub. I'd imagine down the road it would have to be taken apart completely to get a good cleaning of the layer of bioballs under all the media.

Steel Toe

As for the featured setup, I don't think the bioballs need to be clean as the purpose of it are to prevent water clogging. What I can see from the design, actually the water flow at the bottom rather then overflow from the top, not until the 4th and 5th compartment. So I think the owner just need to clean to top portion which are the cotton wool and the jap mat.

Steel Toe

Myview on bio balls:

Well, they do grow beneficial nitrifying bacteria profusely! The unfortunate part is that, while bioballs excel at fostering bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite, they tend to accumulate nitrate (the "end product" of biological filtration). The bacteria are sooo efficient at breaking down the nasties that the nitrate accumulates quite rapidly. Nitrate is not harmful, in and of itself, but the level of nitrate in your tank gives you a good idea as to the overall water quality of the system.

Its also important to not let them get too dirty, they are a good place for left over food and waste to be stored. So if you decide touse them dont leave them untouched for years at a time!

HaHa my fren, nothing beats the use of elbow grease to WC to control the nitrates level:p.:D:D:D

lo sai

if you have "lots" of bioballs, it wouldnt hurt to rinse "some" off in tank water like you would do with your filter media.