BLACK RAYS

EKen

Super Moderator
Chilli Red:
Black Rays are the perfect rays for beginners as they are one of the hardiests...But their price is for veterans.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Chilli Red:
Black Rays are the perfect rays for beginners as they are one of the hardiests...But their price is for veterans.

No, nothing beats a motoro for beginners. I don't think there is an easier ray to keep AND breed. Yes, Leopoldi may be as easy to keep, but they are harder to breed.

Check out these guys I had the honour to meet:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/people/Wyne_Frank_Nico.html

BTW, I will be setting up a group buy from these guys in the future...! :rolleyes:

EKen

Super Moderator
Cirrus:
I am myself trying to breed Motoros...We'll see what happens.

Just out of curiosity, could you pm me an approx. price they are asking.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Oh, I'll be open about their pricing. Including the shipping it would work out to about $1500 per fish. Prices are set by demand, so of course they could go up or down. Minimum order is six fish.

I think you will find that the price quoted above is pretty standard. MFK has similar prices. Prices seem a bit higher in Asia.

In the case of Frank and Nico, they have a long waiting list for their fish.
Also, they guarantee their fish for 7 days after arrival and that all their fish will be eating on arrival!

When the time comes for me to get into black rays, it will be through Frank and Nico for sure.

EKen

Super Moderator
Yes that price looks reasonable. Oh in the good old days when I was younger (around last year), you could still find them at around 600$... Oh well...:D

arapaimag

Potamotrygon leopoldi henlyi

I have a male approx 20 to 22 inches. Bred him with a motoro one time. Got 2 pups.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have a male approx 20 to 22 inches. Bred him with a motoro one time. Got 2 pups.

Wonderful to see you here arapaimag! Please drop by the introduction section in the Aqualounge part of the site to tell a bit about yourself! I know what a fascinating addtition you make to this site, but not everyone else does!

:)

kootenayrays

I have some myself, trying to get a good breeding program set up but that
takes time. I got a pair for a steal back in July, but the price almost doubled
with the last ones recently. I need more though, my idea of a breeding
program is having lots of unrelated pairs so my bloodline stays diverse. I
must admit, the motoros are way easier, but the leos have some of the
coolest personalities. I'm definitely up for a group order from Nico, a pair
for sure and maybe 2 pr

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have some myself, trying to get a good breeding program set up but that
takes time. I got a pair for a steal back in July, but the price almost doubled
with the last ones recently. I need more though, my idea of a breeding
program is having lots of unrelated pairs so my bloodline stays diverse. I
must admit, the motoros are way easier, but the leos have some of the
coolest personalities. I'm definitely up for a group order from Nico, a pair
for sure and maybe 2 pr

I had a feeling you might be interested! :)

h.l_nathan

y you dont check... cause when my water gets to 220ppm my aros dont seem to eat as much. and their breathing is heavier not too good

T1KARMANN

all rays are fairly easy to keep

the reason people have problems is

1 they buy wild caught rays that are in bad condition when you buy them

2 retic/tea cup rays are no harder to take care of than any other ray it just they are imported at a very small size and only a few months old

i have p14 which are a bit more expencive but their adult size is more managable than say leopoldi or henlei which can grow to 30inch disk and a p14 female 18inch disk

if you want to keep black rays long term p14 is the way to go

JMorash

If the asian fish trades effects the price of Black rays world wide at all, their prices wont drop, only rise. People are willing to pay so only gain for the companies breeding them.

Oliver Lucanus usually get's one every year, sells for about $1500.