black water

protoxeno

Ok I ordered these K leaves on ebay from this amy lim person, when I put those leaves in it spawned a dozen of parasites so it was a big disaster. Of course I got my refund. I tried a piece of the leave in a smaller tank and after a few hours it spawned parasites again. So be careful.

FOSSILFISH

Black Water.

Ok I ordered these K leaves on ebay from this amy lim person, when I put those leaves in it spawned a dozen of parasites so it was a big disaster. Of course I got my refund. I tried a piece of the leave in a smaller tank and after a few hours it spawned parasites again. So be careful.

How did you extract the tannins from the "K" leaves?

There are a few ways of doing it. I have used "K" leaves for almost a year and have never encountered parasites. What kind of parasites did U get? What do they look like? Sure they are not planaria worms?

I use a bit of "K" leaf tea for almost all my water changes. I do it gradually because it brings the PH down. But I am sold on the Anti bactiraial properties of the leaves.:)

ninjaturtle

anyone use those leaves to make black water or use other kinds of black water extracts?

its called ketapang leave, you can also use extracts.. altho on the other sideo fo the world, k leave tends to be more popular n natural..

u dont necessarily need any of these tho, just do good water changes and keep ur water crisp n clean

DragonfishExotics

I've heard a few stories of people switching to black water, using ketapang leaves, and their aro would stop eating. Havent experienced it myself, just what I heard.

EKen

Super Moderator
Let me start by saying that I am no expert about Ketapang leaves. But I did, like Protoxeno, buy my Ketapang leaves from Ebay. I do not remember the name of the seller. I followed the instructions from the seller about how many leaves to put in the tank.

I noticed that my fish was a lot less stressed, and did eat more. But I found that it made the tank looks a lot less attractive, so I stopped. I did not get any parasites or problems with the leaves. I also have a lazy friend who is using black water to boost the color of his reds, but from peat extract though. It seems to work as his fishes looks very good.

xbackgolden

The method is to boil the ketapang leaves in water. THis will kill off all the parasites. This is wat we do locally.

GRANDDRAGON

Hi I have also used Ketapang leaves for about a year and have not encountered any parasites at all. I had purchased from the same seller and also another seller from another online store. This is the first time that I have heard of this type of leave spawning parasites. If you keep any type of plants in your aquarium, then I could see the bugs or parasites coming off either the plants or waste from your fish to get a food source from the leaves. But the leaves actually carrying parasites I do not think it would happen. I brewed the leaves with 2 different methods and have never come up with any parasites.:confused:

protoxeno

How did you extract the tannins from the "K" leaves?

There are a few ways of doing it. I have used "K" leaves for almost a year and have never encountered parasites. What kind of parasites did U get? What do they look like? Sure they are not planaria worms?

I use a bit of "K" leaf tea for almost all my water changes. I do it gradually because it brings the PH down. But I am sold on the Anti bactiraial properties of the leaves.:)

I got these things that is circular looking with a few legs, not legs but more precisely wiggle dots...does that make sense? I just stick it in the tank and an hour later those parasite blooms. I didn't boil them b4 I put it in but just straight from the bag.