Community Tank Shape???

AroNoob

Hi,

I am planning for a future community tank and was wondering what shape of tank I should use. I have a room in my basement that I will get one built in, or order if it will fit through the door. I was thinking of an "L" shaped tank similar glamit's "U" shaped tank or a deep tank like a 8' x 4'. The "L" would be in the 700 gallon range and the traditional tank would be around 550 gallons. Which would you do?

Thanks,

Ron

snow

How many arowana do you have again? Or how many are you planning on keeping?
If you want stingray in on the bottom of your aquarium( which does look nice, fish on top and bottoom) Than I would go with the 8' by 4' set-up. If you are just goint to do mid-swimming range fish like dats and top swimming fish like arowana's than go with the l shaped tank. L shaped tanks are a cool looking tank. If I had room for a tank like that then I would get one. It's really up to you though. If you got lots of cash than you can do a l shapped tank which could be 4ft wide also, just something to ponder about.:)

AroNoob

The number of arowanas is still undecided, 5 maybe 9??? Is 48" wide the minimum for rays? I was only thinking of 30" wide for the "L" shaped tank. I haven't really decided on the tankmates yet but after seeing that monster tank in Taiwan, a big Clown Knife would be awesome

Thanks,

Ron

snow

Well if rays are not your thing then a wide footprint is not needed. 4ft is nice for stingrays. One of my tanks is 36" wide and I feel that's enough room for some of my rays at the moment. 30" is a nice size. But if I would you I would just go the 6" bigger and have 36". That way your arowana's will have more room to turn around plus if you decide down the road you want stingrays then you have a decent foot print for them.