DIY Big Build

JMorash

Hey,

With a whole lot of big rays, cats, bichirs and hopefully within the next year a nice group of arowana I am going to need a bigger tank.

I was thinking about a plywood tank, but I find plywood always comes out to look a tad shabby. So when looking at a few of my extremely neat looking snake cages made out of MDF, I figured why not use MDF. I figure it would have to be reinforced a little bit more, because it wont have the natural strength that plywood would have, but in the end it could potentially be a very nice tank.

I am thinking a 10' x 4' x 3' tank, made out of 1.5" MDF, and then lined with .25" acrylic, with an extremely thick lexan front on it. I haven't really looked into all the details, but my dad is an engineer so I'm sure he could help me out with it.

Anyone ever hear of anyone using MDF? Are there any major problems to be worried about. I know if it gets wet it basically turns to pulp, but I would plan on coating it with some sort of water proof paint.

Thanks,

Justin Morash

JMorash

Nahh, I haven't crunched any numbers yet, but I can get lexan pretty cheap through a buddy of mine. The MDF should be pretty cheap. Acrylic tanks that size are upwards into the $5000 or more I think. Another buddy of mine used to be a distributor for Tenecor and the prices were ridiculous.

Thanks,

Justin Morash

Marius

Nahh, I haven't crunched any numbers yet, but I can get lexan pretty cheap through a buddy of mine. The MDF should be pretty cheap. Acrylic tanks that size are upwards into the $5000 or more I think. Another buddy of mine used to be a distributor for Tenecor and the prices were ridiculous.

Thanks,

Justin Morash

I'll strike a deal with Tenecor pretty soon, 535 gal tanks (8'Lx4'Wx30"H) are 2300 something. Orders over 5k are getting a kickass shipping and if there's enough interest I'll might consider distributing them myself: as in you'll get to see my big smile while I bring you the new tank :p

...why not start a thread on this, might be better for people to chime in.

arl

I haven't read anybody using MDF for fish tank. Personally I would not do it with that material for the "shabby" reason. MDF, like you said, is a weaker material, can not tolerate even the slightest water and more expensive than plywood. Specially,by the way you describe it, you won't be putting any 2X4 frames I wouldn't even toy around with the idea of MDF. If being "shabby" is all your concern about plywood, you can always wrap the outside of your tank with 1/8 oak plywood which is very cheap and your tank will look very "shabby" :D

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
If you guys out east can get enough people together, you can definitely get an amazing deal on Tenecor tanks. The trick is getting the total sale up to at least $10,000; an additional issue for you would be the shipping; you would need to arrange a central drop location for the tanks, and have everyone pick them up from there. I hear Montreal is a lovely place in the spring/summer, so maybe that would make the most sense? :)

Marius - I will forward you the email I just received from Tenecor; they are promising to beat any advertised price and to offer 15% discounts beyond that. This is a super aggressive move on their part and represents incredible value. If there are many of you looking for big tanks out east, you should first get some really good quotes in writing from various firms; then approach Tenecor and say "Beat this!" You can tell that from a retailer's perspective I am the shopper from hell... :D

Marius

If you guys out east can get enough people together, you can definitely get an amazing deal on Tenecor tanks. The trick is getting the total sale up to at least $10,000; an additional issue for you would be the shipping; you would need to arrange a central drop location for the tanks, and have everyone pick them up from there. I hear Montreal is a lovely place in the spring/summer, so maybe that would make the most sense? :)

Marius - I will forward you the email I just received from Tenecor; they are promising to beat any advertised price and to offer 15% discounts beyond that. This is a super aggressive move on their part and represents incredible value. If there are many of you looking for big tanks out east, you should first get some really good quotes in writing from various firms; then approach Tenecor and say "Beat this!" You can tell that from a retailer's perspective I am the shopper from hell... :D

That, combined to the proposal I made them it might just work nicely in the future. If they accept it, Montreal will have a Tenecor showroom next summer :D

JMorash

Ps Marius - know anyone with a speed boat?... I wanna try to surf that river if I ever head over that way in the summer. hahah

homebrewed

Super Moderator
A plywood tank can be built to be a beautiful showcase tank if you have the tools and patience

There are a few builders in Winnipeg that make them. 1 of them makes beautiful setups depending on the wood that he uses. I'll try and dig up a picture