does anyone use amolock

h.l_nathan

i have a 220g tank and my amo was high so i put in some amolock and my fish look like they were sick the next morning. Can anyone give me some advice?

jackson

Dont use this stuff it is not good. I find the best stuff is Prime for this prblem. I find it really works well and you can see the results right away. You can add it then test the water 10 min's ltter and the reading's will be lowers.

h.l_nathan

prime i've never seen it, but will check it out. cause i got so scared for my fish that i had to bring them to another tank and restart the old tank from new again

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Its made by Seachem, I believe.

I use it as well and it does a good job. Also good for adding tap water straight from the tap. It works fast

jackson

prime i've never seen it, but will check it out. cause i got so scared for my fish that i had to bring them to another tank and restart the old tank from new again

If you can not find it in your LFS try one that deals with Marine fish they should have it for sure.

h.l_nathan

thanks. cause i belive that the LFS dont want you to keep your fishes too long or else they wont be in biz... but i'm glad i found this site cause i love fish but dont know much about maintaining them

danfong88

do more water changes, so you not have use all chemical i.e amolock?? and prime..... etc.... natural biological loads is more effective.

h.l_nathan

oh forget this forum. I tried it didnt work. but prime is another subject. prime only removes chlorine from tap water. I run RO water with some distilt water.

carcrazy

I also use prime with water changes. It is supposed to remove chlorine and chloramine as well as remove ammonia (converted to nitrates I think). I have had no problems with it on any of my tanks. None of the tanks show any ammonia on test kits. I try to be consistent with my water changes as well, which I'm sure also helps. I keep a log of when I do my water changes as well as recording water parameters, when lights were changed, when filters were cleaned etc. It's hard to keep track of six tanks. Geez, I'm rambling.:rolleyes:

Get prime, it works! ;)

Last edited:

h.l_nathan

sorry I dont have that much tank. I only have 3 but 1 in B.C and 2 in QC, so hard for me to do water change all the time. Only 6 aros for now, but when work die down abit i might have more time to do water change and add more aros. Maybe a 9 dragon tank 1 for QC and 1 in BC.

Marius

sorry I dont have that much tank. I only have 3 but 1 in B.C and 2 in QC, so hard for me to do water change all the time. Only 6 aros for now, but when work die down abit i might have more time to do water change and add more aros. Maybe a 9 dragon tank 1 for QC and 1 in BC.

I'm in Montreal now if you have time to go out for a coffee one day. :cool:

h.l_nathan

Marius sure thing. I just hired new helper to make life a lot easier, so for the next few month I'm going to be free for awhlie

rudy

Ammo lock is crap. It does not work.

Prime unless I am mistaken does not take ammonia out, it only buffers it enough that the ammonia is no longer as harmful to the fish. It is essentially a water change product (so your tank does not die off from a spike), or if you drip it, it will give you more time in the case that there is a spike to be able to control it. If you rely entirely on products to control the ammonia it will not be good long term.

Water changes and good filtration is the only way to go long term.:)