Drop-eye

laz_dvl

:mad:I just realised that my aro has drop-eye syndrome. I know there's no cure for this, but what could I do so that it doesn't get worse.

In my tank I have 6 african cichlids, 4 indo tiger, and 4 different plecos. The tank is a 220g, granit bottom, no sand, just a few silk plants.:mad:

h.l_nathan

its either your aro think the cichlids are food or you're over feeding your aro. a fat aro will tend to have drop-eye too. buy a couple of floating balls or something to keep your aro from looking down to the bottom of the tank, and drop it in the tank for a while it would help with the problem...

EKen

Super Moderator
There is a lot of "explanations" for drop eye, but I personally believe it is mostly genetics, and the fact that arowanas are not meant to be in a tank.

There are also many ways or trick to help prevent or cure drop eye, but none are 100% effective (or proven to be effective). You can try:
- ping pong balls
- flashing lights (xmas lights)
- painting the bottom or putting gravel (so that the bottom does not reflect, avoiding the aro to look down)
- putting the aro in a pond

Personally, I don't mind a little drop eye, I guess you have to learn to live with it.

GRANDDRAGON

There is a lot of "explanations" for drop eye, but I personally believe it is mostly genetics, and the fact that arowanas are not meant to be in a tank.

There are also many ways or trick to help prevent or cure drop eye, but none are 100% effective (or proven to be effective). You can try:
- ping pong balls
- flashing lights (xmas lights)
- painting the bottom or putting gravel (so that the bottom does not reflect, avoiding the aro to look down)
- putting the aro in a pond

Personally, I don't mind a little drop eye, I guess you have to learn to live with it.

Well said Eken I also believe that it is also genetic. There have been many tricks in trying to cure drop eye but like Eken says none are 100% effective. Knowing this, my suggestion would be to take the tank mates out for a while and see if it makes a difference if not then maybe there is nothing you can do.

EKen

Super Moderator
There is the drop eye operation, but I don't think anyone in Canada is yet able to do, at least yet. A bit risky, and it looks difficult, I would not try it:

Dragonguy

If it's only a little drop then putting them in the pond will have a chance to recover. However if it's already drop then the chances are very slim.

I tried the ping pong ball, the flash light and putting sand or gravel, they did not worked. They totally ignore the ping pong ball and the they get panic with the flash light. For the sand or gravel, many people have done this but they still get drop eye.

DragonfishExotics

I think genectics do play a part of it, but I have 3 300 gallon tanks stacked, so the top one is 6 feet high and the aro in the top one began to develope drop eye. His is pellet trained, and eats MP 3 times a week, no live food. I'll take a couple pics and show. He was only in the tank for 2 months, now I will put him in the bottom one so he will look up...lol.

danfong88

:mad:I just realised that my aro has drop-eye syndrome. I know there's no cure for this, but what could I do so that it doesn't get worse.

In my tank I have 6 african cichlids, 4 indo tiger, and 4 different plecos. The tank is a 220g, granit bottom, no sand, just a few silk plants.:mad:

do you have a silver aro?