Fin and Tail Rot

wawawa3

Hi All:

i'm new to this forum as i never realize there is so much Aro owner in Canada. i'm a newbie to arrowana and i have got a big problem here that need all your expert to help.:eek:

i currently have a 90 Gal tank with , heater(set as 84F) and a FX5 filteration. i don't have any sand/gravel. it is just a plain simple tank due to maintaince issue as i know the gravel could trap bad baterica.

i have purchased a green aro back in March and everything is doing good until i back from vacation in July 08. after i back from vacation, i found all the fins on the fish is gone(you can't see the fins at all), tail is gone and the gill is shrinked. I suspect that there is too much uneaten food casuing change the condition of the water. :mad:. i have ask my friend come over help me feed the fish but he don't knwo anything so i can't blame him.

Back in July, i have been using Fural 2 for approx 1 weeks , it grown approx 0.5-1mm on the tail then it stop growing again. :mad:Now, i'm using Pimafix and Melafix for approx 10 days already, the tail is growing very slowing(only the buttom part but the top still have no improvement) and there is no improvement for the Gill and the fin. honestly, i don't expect my fish need to be show room condition i like to know whatelse could i do to make him recover as a healthy fish.

i could try to post some pics but i don't know how to post pics. Your help will be much much appreciated.

PS, sorry for the bad grammar as english is not my first language.

thank you

wawawa3

attached is the tail

Attachments

• IMG_3844_resize.JPG
    IMG_3844_resize.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 696

Kenta

Administrator
Wow, extreme case of bad water quality rotting the fishs fins!

Youre on the right track with pimafix and melafix, but im thinking you may have to use a stronger med... i only use mela/pimafix for minor cuts and scrapes, never had to deal with something so extreme.

Also, clean out the filter and keep the water super clean, i'd do 25% everyday for a while

wawawa3

i have been doing WC every 7-10 days until i see the fins problem come up, then i change at least once a week approx 30% each time. usually, i clean the wool every 2 week but i think i will go get some new wool for the filter to give a try.

Kenta. what kinda of medicine would you recommend as a stronger med? i have try local fish store and Big Al. both of the store just recommend use the pimafix and melafix for now. there is one store even mention the bacteria could hurt the bone and it may not grown again. is that true?