Flower Horn and Red Texas

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have learned that the Thais are NUTS about their hybrid cichlids! I can't resist and so am going to pick up some to take home. Prices are super cheap for little guys ($1-3), but go up as the fish show colour and other desirable qualities.

They come in short or long body.

They come in a variety of different colours.

They can come with markings that resemble Chinese characters.

In general it looks like the really RED red texas long bodies are most in demand, along with FH that are mostly red and have large head humps and a Chinese character thrown in.

In some ways these fish are like Asian arows in that you don't know what you will get till it is fully grown. That is why the price climbs for larger fish that show promising colours, etc. I am thinking of choosing some fish for myself in the $50-100 range (around 4-5 inches showing promise). I am also tempted to buy more of slightly smaller fish and try growing them out. Finally, I may just buy one nice FH and one nice Red Texas and keep it at that.

I am curious as to whether anyone out there wants me to pick them up any fish while I am at it? Unless you are from Vancouver there would be shipping charge inside Canada once I get back in mid-June.

If you are interested pm me and we'll go from there.

Just to give you an idea how smitten I am by Red Texas cichlids, I found myself thinking earlier today that it would be fun to stock my coming 535 gallon tank with around 100 of them in order to grow out a true champion... :rolleyes: