Hello From Calgary

rmisener

Hello all my name is Rob and i'm not new to keeping fish but i'm new at keeping Asian Arowanas. i've kept large Oscars, Angels and Jardini arowanas, Silver Arowanas as well as lots of other Cichlids and pleco's. but this will be my first attempt at the Asian type. I have ordered a RTG from Arovillage in Vancouver witch gets there fish from Dreamfish in Singapore. It should be here this weekend and i can't wait to get it. i have given all my larger fish away and kept my 2 Angelfish, 5 Clown Loaches and 2 Datnoids to be my Arowanas friends. i have a 230 gallon tank witch you can see pictures of on my profile and all the specs on it are there also. temp is 82 and PH is 7.0.
any comments and suggestions on my set-up are gratefully appreciated as i want it done perfect the first time so there is no bad news to report later.

Attachments

• DSC06140.jpg
    DSC06140.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 46

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
You seem well equipped and experienced to take on an Asian arowana. Your angelfish will likely not last too long, but the dats and clown loaches could be long term tank mates if you are lucky. Please post photos of your fish when it arrives and of course, welcome to the forum. :)

1goodcatch

Agree the Angles may not last long,
you will be fine with the Dats and clowns loaches
please do post pictures when you have your RTG home :)
some suggestions after looking at the picture of your tank
place something heavy on top of your tank lids.
depending on the size of you aro, he may jump open you glass lids.
my 18" did
also you have a beautiful piece of drift wood, make sure there are no sharp edges.
your new aro will be a bit jumpy at first and may injure its self

Last edited:

danfong88

your angle fish will get killed. Also, there is too much drift wood this can hurt your RTG. Since, the aro is a new comer to your existing tank, he might feel less at home. So you have to watch the aro very carefully or put the aro in tank my itself until it is stable. ie. at home first. Angle fish are inexpensive compared to aro.

Good Luck with RTG!!!

rmisener

i was going to set up my 50 gallon as a sump but may have to put the angels in there instead. no big deal, as for the drift wood i have it in there to help lower my PH because this was a cichlid tank with a higher PH than needed for my RTG. will do on the heavy object on the lid i will get that figured out by weekend.